United States
FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Zidoo Z9X Pro
Ultra-HD 4K Dolby Vision Home Theatre Media Player.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: Samba HDD Capacity False Reading  (Read 13908 times)

B16 KJR

• View Profile
Samba HDD Capacity False Reading
« on: June 11, 2019, 12:25:51 PM »
Hi

I have started to get a strange problem whilst trying to transfer videos from my Windows 10 PC (version 1903) via Samba to my Q10 Pro media box which is fitted with a 2TB HDD. I keep getting an error message telling me there isn't enough space on the hard drive, but I know there is plenty of room left on it.  I have accessed the disk via my PC and deleted loads of videos so I know the 'connection' between PC and Q10 is working OK.

I have attached a screen shot showing there is  only 208GB of HDD space being used and another screen shot showing the error message telling me there isn't enough disk space to transfer a 3.6GB file ?

I have rebooted the Q10 and performed a disc clean but it hasn't made any difference. Can anyone help ?

Kenny 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:41:53 AM by futeko.com »

Mount81

• View Profile
Re: HDD Capacity False Reading
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
Check this post for solution: https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=4265.msg28422#msg28422

What FW version are you on?

B16 KJR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 02:42:20 PM »
Hi

I am on the latest 2.1.1 version of the FW.

I have tried the disk check on Windows 10 and it reported no errors, I then tried the command prompt chkdsk and it came up with errors and recommended a chkdsk / scan which then gave the message 'access denied' something about it being an NTFS file ?

I am in the process of transferring all the content from the HDD onto my laptop and will reformat the HDD and then transfer the content back onto it but I'm pretty certain that its got something to do with the Windows 10 1903 update as my 2nd Q10 box is now doing exactly the same thing ?

B16 KJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 06:46:59 PM »
Hi

I have reformatted the HDD and transferred all my content back onto it, but the problem persists. I have discovered that I can transfer a small 450mb file , but anything approaching 900mb and I get the error message about there not being enough space on the disk space.

I have read the post by pcristi in the link above about how the network drive should be mapped and mine is done correctly and hasn't changed, the only thing that has changed is the update to Windows 10 version 1903 and as both of my Q10 boxes are affected that is the only common link between them both.

Can anyone suggest any other course of action other that rolling back to version 1809 of Windows 10 ?

Joker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:03:33 AM »
Exactly what procedure did you use to reformat the hard drive?

B16 KJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:49:09 AM »
Hi

I connected my laptop to the back of the Q10 with a usb cable and used 'Mini Tool Partition Wizard' to reformat the drive. I did notice a small partition on the drive which I was going to reformat again today without any partitions, but last night I decided to roll back to Windows 10 version 1809 and everything is back to normal and I can once again send large files using SAMBA.

I will try reformatting the HDD again today and removing that small partition just in case with version 1903 it is only reading the capacity of the small partition rather than the rest of the HDD, if that's the case there must be some sort of change between versions, as 1809 works fine.

pcristi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 12:31:01 PM »
Please check if on Windows 10 version 1809 your sda2 is report as 8TB?
As I know Windows 10 version 1903 fixed that errors.
Map drive of sda2 is report real size of HDD partition, map drive of media_rw will report free space of box as need ~3.6GB and map drive of shared will report free space on internal partition ~980MB.

B16 KJR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 12:46:01 PM »
Hi

I've never seen the sda2 ever being reported as 8TB, how would I check as when I go into 'properties' it only tells me the amount of space that is being used on the HDD.

I am in the process of transferring all the media off the HDD and was going to reformat the HDD as a simple volume without the small partition, is that the correct thing to do ? Not sure why there is a small partition on the HDD anyway ?

B16 KJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 12:30:18 PM »

Joker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 03:53:23 PM »
Note :- after reformatting the drive and moving the partition, the HDD has somehow renamed itself sda1 instead of sda2 which it was before ?

That would be right as you removed the extra partition, the first partition should be sda1, the second sda2 and so on.

B16 KJR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 07:28:50 PM »
That would be right as you removed the extra partition, the first partition should be sda1, the second sda2 and so on.

I didn't realise that, but it makes sense now, thanks for explaining it. Any ideas regarding the rest of my problem ?

Joker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 01:02:10 AM »

B16 KJR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »
Hi

I can't see it being an issue with the disc, if it was, I wouldn't be able to have it working OK from my PC on version 1809 but not from my laptop on version 1903 ? However its very handy to have that information for future reference.

I just have a desktop shortcut icon for both my Q10's so that I can just copy and paste movies directly into themon my desktop, which is very handy.

pcristi seemed to know what was going on, but he hasn't replied to the last post yet, hopefully he can come back with a solution. At least I was able to roll back my PC to version 1809, I was just outside the 10 days with my laptop, so the option was no longer available for me.

Joker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 02:05:32 AM »
Hi B16 KJR, I can confirm there is a problem with the later Window 10 builds, although I am not running Build 1903, one of my machines is running a very late preview (20H1 Build 18917).

The same problem exists on this machine it cannot copy larger files. I tried to copy a 1.8GB file to the q10 and I get the not enough disk space error.
Disk space reports are all over the place for the samba drive. They do report correctly for Windows machines (both remotely and local).

You can try this on your machines, you will get different results between builds 1809 & 1903.
Got to a command prompt and map a drive to the Q10, I mapped z drive. At the prompt type (you can use your IP address) eg: net use z: \\192.168.x.x\share

Now type at the prompt:-  wmic logicaldisk get size,freespace,caption

With the drive still mapped, you can also try this from the PowerShell Prompt:-  get-psdrive | Where Free*

Going into the share in file explorer and selecting properties on the folder does seem to give the correct used space.

pcristi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 10:51:43 AM »
Testing SMB copy.
My case HDD partition is sda5 and is Windows 10 19H1(18362.175) / Windows 10 20H1(18917.1)
Not map driver direct browse network \\Android_XXX\share\media_rw\sda5
map X: \\Android_XXX\share\media_rw
map Y: \\Android_XXX\share
Try copy more that 1GB files --> FAILED

map V: \\Android_XXX\share\media_rw\sda5
(right click on V: to see HDD free space)

Try copy more that 1GB files --> SUCCESS

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024