FREE+FAST WORLD DELIVERY
UK STOCK   2 YEAR WARRANTY
MEDIA BOX  :  FORUM  :  CONTACT
Zidoo Z9X
New generation Zidoo Media Player based on Realtek 1619DR chipset. HDR10+, HDR, Dolby Vision VS10  £179.99  €206  $243

Author Topic: Largest HDD supported.  (Read 31347 times)

marcelg

• View Profile
Re: Largest HDD supported.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 03:29:24 AM »
Need help on step by step guide how to format a 4TB Seagate HDD via Windows7 for use as internal storage on the Q10.
1) GPT disk or MBR disk
a)  MBR only recognizes 2TB but is detected by the Q10
b)  GPT can maximize 4TB but is not detected by Q10

Thank you in advance.
Hi, mi green WD of 3tb is formated in ntfs inn GPT, and works in my q10.
Marcel Garcia
HiMedia Q10 4K3D

archer87

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »
Anyone with instructions on using 4TB as internal storage?

marcelg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 05:15:07 AM »
Anyone with instructions on using 4TB as internal storage?
Hi, any drive bigger than 2tb must have be in GPT partition https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table , mine is with one partition on 3TB, there is no reason to find that it will not work, i have read here someone with a 6TB hard drive working and here http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=41.msg1539#msg1539 with 8TB, others says that 4tb don't work, but should work if is already formatted.
Good luck
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:18:00 AM by marcelg »
Marcel Garcia
HiMedia Q10 4K3D

archer87

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 06:26:09 AM »
@marcelg, kindly provide step by step guide how you partitioned your harddrive for newbies like me.
Both my WD and Seagate 4TB cannot be detected as internal drive on the Q10.
Partitioned to GPT using diskpart via Windows 7 http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26203-convert-gpt-disk-mbr-disk.html

As external Harddrive storage same 4TB can be detected.
But when installed as an Internal Harddrive it is not detected.

Thank you in advance for any procedure you may provide.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 06:41:57 AM by archer87 »

marcelg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 03:23:19 PM »
@marcelg, kindly provide step by step guide how you partitioned your harddrive for newbies like me.
Both my WD and Seagate 4TB cannot be detected as internal drive on the Q10.
Partitioned to GPT using diskpart via Windows 7 http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26203-convert-gpt-disk-mbr-disk.html

As external Harddrive storage same 4TB can be detected.
But when installed as an Internal Harddrive it is not detected.

Thank you in advance for any procedure you may provide.

Mine is partitioned in the same way, in w7 disk manager, all my drives are WD green, on the first boot android don't detect it, on next no problem.
Marcel Garcia
HiMedia Q10 4K3D

archer87

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 05:21:49 PM »
I finally got the 4TB to be recognized by the Q10 as internal storage.
After formatting the 4TB, it still could not be detected so decide to make the 4Tb a back-up storage.
Connected the 4Tb on an external harddrive enclosure, transferred files from internal 2Tb Hdd via Q10.
When files were transferred, out of curiosity I decided to install the 4Tb as internal HDD of the Q10.
Surprise! The 4TB was detected. 8)

Now Happy using the 4TB as internal storage for the Q10.
Next project a 6TB drive.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:24:13 PM by archer87 »

robert

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 01:09:38 AM »
my few hour battle with Q10, 6TB drive and copying files from Synology 412+:

Q10 does support large hdd - i have just installed WD 60EFRX, 6TB drive.
i needed to connect Q10 via USB A/B to my laptop (running Win 8) and initialize the internal HDD with GPT setting, but do not format at first (as only NFTS comes up, and Q10 does not like NTFS and 6TB).  As next window popped up to format the drive i've choosen exFS (or exFAT not sure, but there is only once choice). after formatting the disc was visible to Q10 and Kodi and other tools.

i could copy the 2.5GB movie to it from my PC, and disconnected the USB cable.  the movie was visible in Q10 i.e. in Kodi.

when you connect to your Q10 via Samba  the only one folder show up - "share".  the internal drive is available in /share/sda/. But the size of the internal HDD shows 1GB (as I guess it is a size of the SDcard).... thus i cannot copy any large movies to it.  so i was stuck. especially as i have several large movies to be copied from my synology NAS.

so i hook Q10 up to synology via USB cable, and it was visible !!!! but Synology does not recognize exFS of this size (running DSM 5.2-5644 Update 2). i read there was an update in DSM 4.3 to support exFS, but only to 2TB. no further updates available for exFS.

but synology supports ext4 FS :).  so i formatted the disk again (from synology console via USB connection) and copied one movie to it..... and now i see that Q10 and Kodi do not read the ext4. 

what a mess.

i'll probably need to connect the Q10 to my laptop again, format it with GPT/exFS and copy all the files (few TB) thru my laptop. does not sound right. and will take ages.

anyone have any ideas how to:
1. make the Q10 smb share of the internal HDD, so it shows actual internal drive size ?
2. make Q10 read ext4 ?

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »
anyone have any ideas how to:
1. make the Q10 smb share of the internal HDD, so it shows actual internal drive size ?
2. make Q10 read ext4 ?

1. If you have a file copy app that can override the 'disk space full' message then files will copy despite the drive showing as the max size of Q10 internal space. Using Linux this is easy with nautilus/nemo, with windows I'm sure there is a utility that would do it, just not sure what.

2. The Q10 will read ext2 format (just not ext3/4) so if the NAS supports ext2 (and I think it will) then that would be a good option.

robert

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 02:15:21 PM »
thank you for suggestion. i did format it with ext2 today (it took ~2.5h) and i have partial success - the internal hdd is both seen by both synology and internal Q10 software, but i still cant copy files from synology via USB - getting not enough space error.

15 minutes later.....  and since synology saw the hdd over USB (USB to S-ATA) as ext4, instead of ext2  and i strated to play with creating directories and files it destroyed the capability of Q10 seeing the internal HDD. so i'm back to formatting it. if i had packages for ext2 support in synology it could have worked. thanks for suggestion futeko.com user.

i'll go with the exFat formatting in Windows, as it is faster. and will try to override the max size. i have access to command console. the in Synology DS Web GUI does not seem to provide such an option.

one more question - would i be able to ssh into Himedia Q10 Quad or manage samba shares ? i could expose the internal disk as another samba share which would show the actual disk size. it would solve all my problems...
other option i see is using Android File Manager to pull data from my Synology disk (instead of push from synology).

pcristi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 03:45:35 PM »
Try this
- Set disk to basic and MBR
- Make two primary partition 50/50% of space.
- Format 1st partition as NTFS
- Extend Volume of 1st partition  over unused space
A result is 4TB on MBR compatible WinXP, Android BOX, old linux distribution.

BTW this default format for 4TB WD MY Book.

robert

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 08:46:11 PM »
pcristi thanks for suggestion. i did not test it out, as the solution i had with exFAT somewhat works....

Since i cant stream files directly to the device (as cannot share the internal hdd as separate share) i decided to push files thru my laptop.
I've connected laptop to the gigabit network on one end, and with USB A/B to the Himedia Q10 on the other side. and was able to get up to 28MB/sec on USB 2, or 32 MB/sec on USB 3.0. Still reasonable. i have 5 TB to copy over, so it would be ~2 days of non stop copy.

there is a challenge i have with recognizing the drive by my windows 8 though.  every time i connect it via USB it tells me there are issues with the disc. i need to run a quick chkdsk.  i had seen it with some of my USB Flash storage earlier, but it happens with both of my home computers now. the driver to expose the drive via USB in HiMedia is not perfect then...

anyway. i'll keep you posted, as it is interesting battle or workarounds. i got about 30% copied so far, and have another 3 days to complete. should be ok.

robert

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »
Last clarification. 

it turns out my Win7 laptop was somewhat damaging logically the disk when connected via USB A/B. As i described earlier at some point i could only connect Q10 to Win7 only in read only mode.
It was possibly anti-virus, or other software running on my win7, i cant change. I could not fix it with chkdsk command.

But when i connected Q10 to Win8 via USB A/B it was able to fix it using its chkdsk. Later i connected my win7 laptop to Q10 via USB A/B and copied all of the 5.5TB files into newly installed disk in Q10. it took about 3 days to copy all data.  Now my Q10 can see the new content.

I'll plan future uploads to it via USB Flash Drives.

Mostwest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 12:18:21 PM »
Hi, I'm new. I can confirm that Toshiba 4TB (3.600 GB) 3.5" 7.200 partitioned as GUID in Windows 7 is working fine with my new Q10 4K3D although from the website i bought the player it was said "Supported up to 3 TB".

tijaune

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 05:52:39 AM »
I will like to report that WD MyBook 5 TB, quick format to ntfs in windows 10 is mounted successfully to the usb 3.0 port under /sdb/sdb1.

predator

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 04:10:24 PM »
someone know if is ok this HD:

HDD Seagate ST8000AS0002 8TB/8,5/600/59 SATA III 128MB ? if not which?

thank you

DELIVERY  :  WARRANTY / RETURNS  :  FAQ  :  BREXIT  :  ABOUT
Price in £GBP with conversion by Paypal (more info). UK+EU delivery includes VAT at 20% (more info). Privacy Policy. © SDHDIGITAL LTD 2020