United States
FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Zidoo Z2000 Pro
Ultra-HD 4K Dolby Vision Home Theatre 3.5" HDD Media Player.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: HiMedia Q10 Pro (Release Box) Impressions  (Read 34737 times)

Alter_Schwede62

• View Profile
Re: HiMedia Q10 Pro (Release Box) Impressions
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 08:36:12 AM »
Hm, in Kodi I can not add them, they are already in, as soon as I plug them to my old Q5 4k3D with Kodi 15.2.

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2016, 09:10:24 AM »
A question:

On the X6 Pro with Android 5 I saw the first time, that a player uses the real Harddisk names (for example "Action") instead of the Android own drive  names like sdb2 sdc3 and so on...
The X6 Pro shows the real drive names in the normal explorer and in their Kodi explorer.

Is this made of the Android 5 System. resp. does the Q10 Pro too show the Harddisk names, or does it still show the Anrdoid own drive names?
And if the Q10 Pro still shows the nothing saying Android drive names, will this be changed in the future?

I am asking, because I have several HDs plugged to my player, and with the Android own drive names most of the time it is a fortune, to find the HD I want to watch a movie from. Its always a gamble/hit and miss.  :-[

Thanx.

X6 Pro only does this with it's own file explorer and it's own custom version of Kodi.

So in all other apps it uses standard Android/Linux drive naming convention.

Although this might seem like a good feature I would suggest that it is in fact of very limited use as it is restricted to 2 apps. Android/Linux drive naming is not complicated and it is of benefit to a user of Android to understand it. What happens when the X6 Pro user decides to upgrade Kodi to latest version and they have Android drive names? Or use another app? Unless Zidoo plan on providing upgrades to their custom Kodi for many years (they won't) this feature is just storing up problems for the future.

Q10 Pro and the vast majority of Android boxes that use standard Android drive naming are using the correct approach in my opinion. You can install any version of vanilla Kodi on Q10 Pro (so always latest version) without problems and with full hardware support (via wrapper and hopefully integrated in future).

And when Kodi has been set up you won't see drive names often anyway. All media will be under Movies / TV Shows / Music etc menu entries.

sizzle786

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »
I've preordered batch 2 but I'm worried that himedia will not sort out all the glitches that are present. I'm only interested in the 4k hevc 10 bit support which isn't working at the moment, even my GeForce 960 can play it perfectly. I'm thinking of cancelling my order. Any opinions out there ?

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2016, 10:53:10 AM »
I've preordered batch 2 but I'm worried that himedia will not sort out all the glitches that are present. I'm only interested in the 4k hevc 10 bit support which isn't working at the moment, even my GeForce 960 can play it perfectly. I'm thinking of cancelling my order. Any opinions out there ?

4K HEVC 10bit is working. It's only some aspects of HDR that aren't working in current firmware (but was working in pre-release firmware so will 100% be fixed, and quickly fixed).

In general, HiMedia have a track record of fixing problems. The main ones in current firmware (3D left/right toggle, HDR, left/right edge band on some 3D) will be fixed quickly.

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »

If your TV is "Ultra HD Premium" alliance certified, then it should not give you any problems. http://www.uhdalliance.org/
To be honest I would like to see the logo on the Himedia Q10/Q5 Pro boxes too. It probably meets all the specs ? Hisillicon is mentioned as a contributor member not as a full alliance member. Fees are probably an inhibitor here which blurs the logo as some products may comply without carrying the actual logo. That is nasty to say it mild.

Downscaling is a pending problem to support the first generation non-Ultra HD Premium capable 4K TV's. Don't buy such a TV anymore is my recommendation for the moment (they will go cheap though). I have been waiting for it myself as I saw the problems coming since work on the new UHD Blu Ray specs started.
The new specs for DC, HDR and WCG will drive the quality of 4K TV's probably more than the actual basic move to the 4K resolution. I do expect a lot of frustration/aggravation with early 4K TV owners when the new material becomes mainstream. I am pretty sure it will do that pretty fast for most 4K material. Going for a bargain right now may not be such a good idea (thing about it twice).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:44:42 AM by Nice Monkey »

Alter_Schwede62

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2016, 03:11:06 PM »
X6 Pro only does this with it's own file explorer and it's own custom version of Kodi.

So in all other apps it uses standard Android/Linux drive naming convention.

Although this might seem like a good feature I would suggest that it is in fact of very limited....
Very sad to read this.  :(

Anyhow I am asking me, why Android has to produce own Harddisk names, inspite of they are already existing on the Harddisks themselves.

But dear futeko.com, what would you say is more meaningfull (makes more sense), if you go to your Kodi explorer, and take a look at your f.e. 6 USB drives?

This?
sdc1
sdc2
sdb2
sdb3
sdd2
sdd4

Or that?
Action
Classics
Comedy
Series
Love
Family

BTW.
Did you know, that Harddisk boxes not always start up the same order?
Because of that it is possible that the HDDs the next time you start your mediaplayer and your HDD Box have the names in a different order.
And if your System (like f.e. Android) list their own Drive names, and always in another way ordered/upstarted HDD partitions or HDDs, it is not very funny to search for the correct HDD.
So sometimes I really have to click five times, until I have the HDD I wanted to watch a movie from.

First time you do this:  :)
Second time you do this:  ;)
Third time you do this:  ::)
Fourth time you do this:  ???
Fifth time you do this:  :o
And then:  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:( and so on...

Perhaps now you can understand my wish.

BTW:
What about adding the HHDs names behind the Drive names (f.e. in brackets)?
Too no good idea?

Alter_Schwede62

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2016, 07:29:13 PM »
PS.

So it could look like this:

sdc1 [Action]
sdc2 [Classics]
sdb2 [Comedy]
sdb3 [Series]
sdd2 [Love]
sdd4 [Family]

Possible?

TheTester

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2016, 09:16:09 PM »
Those weird names are not android specific but something from linux. Drives there has this kind of hook. Something like in Windows where you have C. Normally Android doesn't have to display disk labels because you won't see mounted drives while using phone. So they probably didn't bother to make label be visible in system.

looun

• View Profile
    • himedia Pro Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 10:38:52 AM »
i remember to had read ( not where and when ) that kodi fix this with "ID" for usb drive. 

Charles01

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2016, 12:02:39 PM »
I am in the process of thinking of buying either the Q10/pro or Q5/pro .  I am very new to this and have tried to understand  how  to to set  one of these boxes up. All I want to do is load my large collection of Blu rays on to external Hard drives  and be able to chose them from the screen  and play them  either though my projector or TV.  with the same quality of picture as the the blu ray  and the same with the sound To be honest that's all I want it to I  already own a smart Tv so I do not need  most of the apps like Netflix,Amazon as they are already on my TV. So what I am trying to say is  this unit fairly easy to set for a idiot like me? so i can do what i explained above. Is there  For example Step by step Instructions on how to set it up which is not to techky? . P.S. I have Kodi already on my Pc so I can practice with it   I started using MakeMKV to do the copies of my blu rays  which where perfect and then done the art work (Well pleased with myself on that one ) as a 66 old man. Just to add my computer Knowledge is limited & I do not understand some of the techy bits.   

Alter_Schwede62

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »
Wow Looun, that would be great!  ;D

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2016, 12:52:08 PM »
I am in the process of thinking of buying either the Q10/pro or Q5/pro .  I am very new to this and have tried to understand  how  to to set  one of these boxes up. All I want to do is load my large collection of Blu rays on to external Hard drives  and be able to chose them from the screen  and play them  either though my projector or TV.  with the same quality of picture as the the blu ray  and the same with the sound To be honest that's all I want it to I  already own a smart Tv so I do not need  most of the apps like Netflix,Amazon as they are already on my TV. So what I am trying to say is  this unit fairly easy to set for a idiot like me? so i can do what i explained above. Is there  For example Step by step Instructions on how to set it up which is not to techky? . P.S. I have Kodi already on my Pc so I can practice with it   I started using MakeMKV to do the copies of my blu rays  which where perfect and then done the art work (Well pleased with myself on that one ) as a 66 old man. Just to add my computer Knowledge is limited & I do not understand some of the techy bits.   

I use a Media Player to play DVD and BD where possible based on 1:1 copies. Q10/5 Pro Media Centre will do that for you very much like a real DVD/BD player does. Plain and simple. KODI has all the extra  bells and whistles if you like those extra's which I don't. Never use MakeMKV, why doing so? Just make ISO's (Disk images)  from the originals. I f you ever want/need to burn one you get the original back and your files are very easy to overview (1 file per DVD/BD).

Charles01

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2016, 02:58:34 PM »

I use a Media Player to play DVD and BD where possible based on 1:1 copies. Q10/5 Pro Media Centre will do that for you very much like a real DVD/BD player does. Plain and simple. KODI has all the extra  bells and whistles if you like those extra's which I don't. Never use MakeMKV, why doing so? Just make ISO's (Disk images)  from the originals. I f you ever want/need to burn one you get the original back and your files are very easy to overview (1 file per DVD/BD).
"Thank you for that Nice Monkey"  How do i do this  ISO and do a copy using  ISO? and does it do a perfect copy of the Blu ray  & all the sound systems as well? Told you I was Thick ???

Charles01

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2016, 03:29:35 PM »
How would do the art work for my blu rays  if I do not use the Kodi then Nice Monkey  or is that sort of thing built into the media box ?

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2016, 08:10:32 PM »
How would do the art work for my blu rays  if I do not use the Kodi then Nice Monkey  or is that sort of thing built into the media box ?

I am using ImgBurn for that. Just have a look at it. It is Shareware.

To get artwork you need to use KODI.  I do without myself.

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024