United States
FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Eversolo DMP-A6
Digital Audio Streamer with ESS DAC.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: HDD Option and compatibility  (Read 5447 times)

tbox

• View Profile
HDD Option and compatibility
« on: March 17, 2021, 05:26:04 AM »
I would like to know a little more before buying a new hard drive for my UHD 3000 unit. I'm looking more at the performance, reliability and warranty of the HDD than the price. And more likely I will use 12TB - 18TB  WD or Seagate HDD,
My understanding is that the system files are on the internal memory and the HDD is only for the storage propose.
So there are a few questions I have.

1) 7200 rpm faster HDD make any difference in performance compared to 5400rpm?
2)UHD3000 will take only up to 14TB or it will also support the newest 18Tb?
3) What is the best optimal drive format why?
  • NTFS or FAT32 exFat, or other,
  • Partition style: Master Boot Record (MBR) or (GPT)
  • The cluster size options,
4) Can we adjust or change reformat and use the 512e/4k
drives?

5) What type of drive will be the most suitable for this unit and why?

A) BarraCuda pro Compute 7200rpm 5-year warranty.
B) IronWolf 7200rpm 3-year warranty,
C) IronWolf Pro 7200rpm 5-year warranty,
D) SkyHawk AI 7200rpm 5-year warranty,
E) Seagate Exos 7200 RPM 512e/4k  5-year warranty,
F) WD Ultrastar 7200rpm 5-year warranty,
G) WD Gold Enterprise-Class 7200rpm 5-year warranty,
H) WD Red Plus 7200rpm 3-year warranty,
I) WD Red Pro 7200rpm 5-year warranty,

Or any other drives you have in mind that will work best

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: HDD Option and compatibility
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 10:31:38 AM »
1. No. For media it will make zero difference. Minimising HDD noise is most important.
2. Up to 16TB. We've heard some issues with 18TB so stick to 16TB for now.
3. GPT and NTFS. GPT is required and NTFS is most compatible with Windows. If you use Linux you could us EXT.
4. Android is not compatible with 4K native drives so it would need to be a drive with a 512e emulation mode.
5. Choose a quiet NAS drive. Maybe WD Red Plus (5400RPM) or Seagate Ironwolf

tbox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 08:11:10 PM »
I guess I did a big mistake, I got two Seagate 16TB HDD Exos X16  512E/4Kn (ST16000NM001G)
I did the first format with default format under windows 10  and the UHD3000 crash and turn off.
a second format I did with 512, and the  UHD3000 not crash anymore but doesn't recognize the drive, it looks like I have extra 32Tb to use with a computer but not with the player unless I do something wrong or I have to use different tools to format it with a 512e emulation mode to make it work.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 08:13:09 PM by tbox »

tbox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 03:21:37 AM »
Good news, after the firmware update I did a new format with Mini Tool Partition software I format one drive to exFat the other drive to NTFS format and both of the formats work just fine. the large 4K resolution files run very smoothly, the drives run with normal temperature the only negative thing they run loud and it is not the spinning it seems like the head is clicking and always looking for something.  To compare the noise I used  Seagate 8TB NAS drive and WD red 3TB NAS drive and they run very quiet  comparing to Seagate Exos X16 (ST16000NM001G) drive

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 09:55:13 AM »
To be honest I don't like any of the listed HDD's as these are all made for fast PC's and NAS.

Which SATA HDD (Internal/External) to get for these players?
This must be the question asked most for any media player. The answer is generic:
- If you like absolute silence: Any 2.5 drive using an 2.5 => 3.5 adapter will do also for Internal. A SSD can be used too obviously but is regarded an overkill by me as it offers no substantial additional advantages.
- Any low speed version HDD: Cheaper/slower is better in most cases. Player performance will be identical and less energy => less heat => less drive/fan noise!
- The cheapest is buying an External USB drive even for an Internal HDD by extracting the build-in HDD from that one. That is what I usually do myself at roughly half the costs.  :)

What about lifetime/warranty? Using it with a media player the player will be off most of the time and HDD's stopped when not in actual use. No need for a NAS having HDD's spinning 7x24h! In fact my media player is used as my SMB Server with the only disadvantage that safety copies need to be made manually. The cheapest for that is mutual sharing your entire collection with a good friend.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 10:29:52 AM by Nice Monkey »

Tedtimmis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 06:45:24 AM »
Hey Nice Monkey,
You seem to be the Zidoo guru and I appreciate your willingness to share all of your knowledge (glad you’re not a mean monkey. Here’s my situation, I have an 8 to external drive which works great and a 12 tb Western Digital Duo which gets stuck in limbo when I attach it. I’ve read elsewhere that there is a 10 tb limit to the hard drive. Would you mind sharing the work-around for this issue?

Tedtimmis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 06:51:58 AM »
This reply is to TBOX:
If your drive is clicking, in my experience, that’s a drive that’s about to fail. Make sure you back up that drive as soon as possible.

tbox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 12:55:47 AM »
I had the same problem with the large drives freezing, restarting or not recognized by the player but it was before the firmware update after the update it works, Now  I can use a 16TB drive with no problem.

This clicking is not the sound of a dying  Hard Drive, I have many of them on my workbench before so I know the sound very well.
This one is just a very loud drive-reading noise.

I place my phone on top of the media player and playing a large 4K movie file record audio files with the sound of four different drives so you can compare them. 

Seagate Exos X16 16TB        The spinning is not bad, but the reading is very loud.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D0gdebNVHOZ6RkDSv-8wlp9gsJrLQ3nv/view?usp=sharing

Seagate IronWolf Nas 8TB                The spinning is noisy, the reading is loud.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FxNT5eorL3MMqRZDR3Algl05mhpeevtj/view?usp=sharing

WD RED 3TB Nas        The spinning and the reading level are acceptable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sS3EmYbJvu4bAKLoGIq22S8GgaRk8IGt/view?usp=sharing

WD Blue 250GB    No sound at all, spinning and reading level is almost 0.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j_riZSp-blGAhlXe6-oP5W0uFXko3Eng/view?usp=sharinggaRk8IGt/view?usp=sharing[/url]

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 03:02:54 AM by tbox »

Tedtimmis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 05:06:27 AM »
I couldn’t get your recordings to play but I’ll take your word for it. I’ve had some pretty bad luck with hard drives failing so I suppose I’m a bit leery when I start hearing my hard drives clicking.

Regarding the 10 tb hard drive limit, I checked the firmware and it says I’m up to date. Still, I can’t play my 12 tb external drive.

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 08:46:46 AM »
Seagate Barracuda's or equivalents are good. Yes old WD Green/Blue is good too.

Format with GPT and NTFS using all defaults will do the job. Don't use FAT32 (no big file support) and no exFAT (Not intended for HDD but for sticks/cards). Make very sure there are no second or hidden partitions on it as Android likes it plain and simple (it does not process these options).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 08:50:18 AM by Nice Monkey »

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 09:37:25 AM »
About using HDD > 16 TByte via SATA:
https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=576.0
You are warned!

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024