United States
FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus
8K Dolby Vision & HDR10+ Media Player with 2.5" HDD rack.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: Android 5.1 -> 7 Firmware version? Remove HDD before upgrading?  (Read 1913 times)

Terker

• View Profile
Android 5.1 -> 7 Firmware version? Remove HDD before upgrading?
« on: September 26, 2020, 12:39:16 AM »
Despite having had a few issues with the volume from time to time, I am still using a Q10 Pro with Android 5 / OFW 1.0.7. A few years ago I installed a Seagate Archive HDD and currently I am using about 90% of the available space (8TB). The media player was not cheap, but considering the availability of a long term support from a helpful community and the relative stability of the system I believe it was a fair deal.

Right now I am contemplating on upgrading to Android 7 and a later version of the firmware. The installation instructions seem to be clear:

stage 1 -> migrate to Android 7
stage 2 -> install the Android 7 OFW version 2.0.0 or higher

a) Having had a few troubles in the past flashing other devices I know that later firmware versions sometimes remove crucial features. Therefore the latest firmware is not necessarily the best option. Which one would you recommend? 

b) Should one remove the internal HDD before starting this process and re-install it only afterwards?

Looking forward to your replies, have a great day  :)

nandish

• View Profile
Re: Android 5.1 -> 7 Firmware version? Remove HDD before upgrading?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 10:50:20 AM »
I have Q10 pro flashed with a SATA disk inside. Upgrade to Android 7, no problem. It is the same with or without the disk. I also returned to Android 5 with the disk inside the Q10 Pro. Now I have the latest CFW 2.1.7 and it works somehow.  :)
I'm writing in English with little google help :)

Terker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 12:46:06 PM »
Hi nandish, what an interesting feedback! Thank you for sharing your experience.

What were your reasons for downgrading to Android 5?

FW 2.1.7 is still rather new, good to know that it works.

According to one of the instructions the upgrade order is important (e.g. 2.04>2.14>2.17). Which version did you use before upgrading to 2.1.7?

nandish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 04:10:31 PM »
The reason for switching to (out of nervousness) Android 5 was the software keeps crashing on OFW 2.1.4 / CFW 2.1.4 (I checked both) Unfortunately, Android 5 is too old. Soon CFW 2.1.6 appeared and I installed (from 2.14) then upgrade to 2.1.7. and so far it works.

Terker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 10:37:11 AM »
Thank you for your detailed description. It is very encouraging to see that the media player is still working even after a few challenges. Your helpful report is truly inspirational for me.  ;)

Android 7 / CFW seem to be a viable option.

It is very likely that I will give it a try this week.  :)

nandish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 03:37:44 PM »
Remember to always use the migration firmware from Android 5 to 7, or from Android 7 to 5 (everything you need to migrate is here on the forum)  :)

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024