United States
FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Eversolo DMP-A6
Digital Audio Streamer with ESS DAC.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: How to add NFS Server capabilities to Windows ( FREE )  (Read 7665 times)

kodiloaded

• It's not good to step in dogshit !
    • View Profile
How to add NFS Server capabilities to Windows ( FREE )
« on: June 20, 2019, 02:27:43 PM »
Since SMB transfer from a Windows based PC is so slow I went looking online for an NFS
Based alternative, I found this post in another forum and thought I would share it with the Futeko Community, I used a Dell latitude on Wireless N for testing and was getting around 20MB per second transfers to the Q10 Pro, Not to shabby for WIFI
I prefer NFS, but it's not supported natively on most versions of win.
Here's a way to add NFS service capabilities on win using the FOSS WinNFSd.

1. Download WinNFSd.exe latest version from https://github.com/winnfsd/winnfsd/releases (2.4.0 as of now)

2. Place it in a new folder. I'm gonna use C:\winnfsd for this guide.

3. Inside that folder create a text document, name it exports.txt, open it and paste inside the paths you'd like to share (eg F:\Videos). One path per line, and start from the second line - leave first line blank! (I don't know why but in my case the path I put in the first line didn't get shared).

4. Create another text document in the same folder, name it nfsservice.bat, and paste in it: winnfsd.exe -id 0 0 -log off -pathFile "C:\winnfsd\exports.txt" and save it.

5. Right-click on that file, Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut).

6. Move shortcut to windows's startup folder (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup)

That's it, run nfsservice.bat or restart (the service will start on every boot).

DMD

• View Profile
Re: How to add NFS Server capabilities to Windows ( FREE )
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »
Good morning
I read this old thread as I want to modify the Himedia network protocol> Home PC (with HDD box) from SMB to NFS.
In versions of Windows 10, I ask if it is enough to activate only the "Services for NFS" functionality
https://lab.techteam.it/connettere-un-client-windows-nfs/
Or you need the "WinNFSd.exe" tool.

Thank you
Zidoo Z9X (FW 6.4.20_) | HiMedia Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro (CFW 2.1.7) |ZDMC 19.4 | Kodi 19.4 (skin AeonMQ 9 1.3.0) |  Remote Rii Mini MX3 | Splitter HDMI HDFury AVR-KEY | Display LG 65B6V | Cables HDMI KabelDirekt Pro series | Audio processor Yamaha RX-V775 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Storage Qnap Ts-431K +TL-D800

lesandra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 10:40:19 AM »
Is your Windows also free? :)

jasminuk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 10:41:25 AM »
Thanks to that man who came up with the idea to provide multi-protocol access to the same shared folder via SMB and NFS protocols. SMB is really slow, but I prefer to leave myself the choice so that I can use both SMB and NFS. I like how the NFS functionality is evolving. I experimented a lot on pirated windows :) Thank you for your instruction. A few years ago I would have been very interested in it, but now I prefer to work with a license. Especially when there is a great discount for licensed products.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 09:52:22 AM by futeko.com »

fredphoesh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 07:24:17 PM »
That's it, run nfsservice.bat or restart (the service will start on every boot).

This works great, thanks... but one problem...

every time I start my PC I get this nfsservice.bat popup which I have to close every time. This is a new behaviour since updating my PC (I'm on beta Insider build of Win11)

Do you know how to disable the popup from showing every time? The big window in the screenshot is the popup one...

Thanks,
Mark.

pcristi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 08:06:54 PM »
Try create a scheduled task, trigger At Startup or At log on, with check Hidden box for run nfsservice.bat file inside of make shortcut on Startup folder.

fredphoesh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 10:23:17 AM »
Try create a scheduled task, trigger At Startup or At log on, with check Hidden box for run nfsservice.bat file inside of make shortcut on Startup folder.

Hi,
Thanks, I am not sure what you mean by "inside of make shortcut on startup folder". I did instruct the scheduled task to open the exe file in the installation folder, and used the OPEN IN field to past the path to the place where the shortcut is... but should I delete the actual shortcut? The shortcut is still there and when I restart the popup still happens as usual...

EDIT:
I removed the shortcut from the start-up folder and hey presto, no popup... but I don't see nfsservice or winnfsd in Task Manager Processes or Services... how do I know if it's running? I do see NfsClnt "client for nfs" running as a service...

Thanks for the help.
Mark.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 11:06:47 AM by fredphoesh »

Mount81

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 07:26:00 AM »
Is there a way in this to set up the shared folders for "read-only"? And also to allow the share access only to a specific ip address?

For example in haneWin NFS Server you can edit the exports file this way to do that:

i:\MyFiles\Movies -readonly -name:NFS-Movies-I 194.165.1.189

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024