FAST DELIVERY EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK   2 YEAR WARRANTY
MEDIA BOX     DELIVERY INFO    FORUM    CONTACT
Zidoo UHD3000

Professional UHD 4K Dolby Vision HDR10+ Home Theatre 2x 3.5" HDD Media Player with Hi-Fi audio.
  INCLUSIVE OF EXPRESS 1-2 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: Are Himedia preparing a successor model to the Q5/10 Pro line?  (Read 17359 times)

Mount81

• View Profile
Re: Are Himedia preparing a successor model to the Q5/10 Pro line?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2019, 07:59:30 AM »
But with a such minimal OS like CoreElec, you will loose all the advantages and versatility of an Android one. So we're not just talking about purely local media playback features.

And otherwise these's proof from Zidoo a long ago, that with more professional support and competent FW development, there could be good and quite bug-free media players even using Android OS.

tmihai20

• Smart devices enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My blog (mostly Romanian)
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2019, 12:17:32 PM »
Minimal? It can do everything Android can, but better. I mean what can Android do that CoreElec cannot? Please don't mention Android games, because extremely few people play games on a TV player. All those people on KodiTV forum must be nuts recommending CoreElec instead of Android.
Riddle me this, riddle me that
Who is afraid of the big, black bat?
TV: Sony Bravia  KD-55XG8505 (4K, HDR - Dolby Vision)
TV: 42LA641S (42 inches, 3D, fullHD)
Player: Q10 Pro with HMD-2.0.0 2016-11-17.181855

Mount81

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2019, 07:57:54 PM »
Games (yes I do use this advantage to play some party games on the wide screen TV), normal YT (CE/KODI YT is tending to get messy all over the time), and internet Browser options. Far enough for me, but lets's just say regardless and there you go and have a plenty of options from Zidoo, who've managed to develop both decent media player and general Android functionality on their devices. Don't go judge and underestimate Android by the experiences of HiMedia support only.

There's also Minix, who were also quite fair in this stage so far, and their new Android based Players are in the doorstep too...

If you don't need the Android and all the extras it can afford, just a plain KODI device, go and jump on the Amlogic/CE train, fair enough if that's all your expectation. Who would stop you to do this and why users with the needs of what Android has to offer would mean any obstacle for you?

Otherwise, there's a possibility that the N2 and WIM3 could run a fair enough developed Android too, with all the possibilities mentioned above (except maybe more decent local media playback, but think at it with CE with dual boot option). Too bad that they are a bit costy with VAT on the top in my country...  And there's even a chance that the new Minix'es will be also dual-bootable with CE...

And in the end: go and buy whatever you want and available that fits your expectations. So will I.

tmihai20

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2019, 08:44:38 AM »
I think HiMedia should consider releasing a CoreElec/LibreElec device. I do know there is that Frankenstein device with dual boot, but as you pointed out I do not need Android on my TV box. I have had another Android powered TV box and that was also not performing as I had expected (no DRM, sometimes apps would not work). Again it is my personal opinion that Android has media limitations that a pure Linux machine does not (it is by design). I will purchase a 4K Android TV from Sony soon so I can do Netflix/HBO quickly, so I plan to have a pure TV box based on Linux.

Any custom Android build will have issues with DRM, unless it is coming from the producer itself. In order to have DRM L1 in Android one has to pay and there is a possibility that even if you do pay, some streaming apps will still not work at maximum resolution.

Gandorelli

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2019, 11:56:48 AM »
Just curious, if himedia's next box will support two 3.5inch internal HDD's or they even think to release one with such a feature?

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2019, 02:47:56 PM »
Not a successor, but a different type of product based on similar hardware to Q5/Q10 Pro (actually same chipset as Q30, HiSilicon Hi3798MV200 vs HiSilicon Hi3798CV200 in Q10/Q5 Pro):

HiMedia S500: https://www.futeko.com/products/MP104.php
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:20:09 AM by futeko.com »

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2019, 10:23:09 AM »
Not a successor, but a different type of product based on similar hardware to Q5/Q10 Pro (actually same chipset as Q30, HiSilicon Hi3798MV200 vs HiSilicon Hi3798CV200 in Q10/Q5 Pro):

More info from HiMedia. Turns out (thanks pcristi for alerting us) S500 isn't the mix of Android TV and HiSilicon PQ we thought it was. The factory box will not have a local/LAN media browser/player with hardware support, despite the HiSilicon hardware being very capable. The problem is that Google won't certify a box for Android TV if anything other than standard FW is installed.

We added this to the S500 listing today: "As it stands HiMedia S500 has standard Android TV firmware installed with no ability to play local/LAN media with HiSilicon hardware support. It uses the same hardware as other HiMedia boxes so all it needs is the installation of the the Media Center and HiMedia/HiSilicon video player apps. We have asked HiMedia to provide these apps for sideload so local/LAN playback equivalent to previous HiMedia boxes can be restored. No guarantees."
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:26:01 AM by futeko.com »

maelor

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2019, 11:18:09 AM »

Only £70/€84 - looks a bit cheap to me, when compared to the Zidoo range??? In fact the box looks very under-specified ?

"Internal Storage: 8Gb"?
"RJ-45 10/100 Ethernet"?
USB2?

I will NOT be considering this cheap piece of plastic  >:(!
Zidoo Z1000 Pro | Firmware 6.3.40_G | Zidoo V9 AirMouse Remote | WD Red 8Tb HDD

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2019, 11:22:35 AM »
Yes, it's cheap. That's sometimes a good thing, surely?!

It's a different type of product to the previous HiMedia boxes or Zidoo. It's intended for running Android TV and Android TV apps, not playing local media. Our listing has been updated today to reflect that it has limited local media playback capabilities, despite the chipset being same as HiMedia Q30/Q100 etc.

If you're waiting for a proper HiMedia successor to Q10/Q5 Pro then there is an 8K HiMedia box due next year: https://www.futeko.com/products/MP100.php
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:24:44 AM by futeko.com »

maelor

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2019, 01:16:25 PM »
Yes, it's cheap. That's sometimes a good thing, surely?!

No, you get what you pay for, the specification of this box says everything!

If you're waiting for a proper HiMedia successor to Q10/Q5 Pro then there is an 8K HiMedia box due next year

Then that is worth looking at!

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2019, 02:25:32 PM »
No, you get what you pay for, the specification of this box says everything!

It's actually quite expensive for an Android TV box. You are paying more for the HiSilicon chipset and Google certification.

tmihai20

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2019, 08:03:12 AM »
Honestly MP104 does not look bad and it is definitely not cheap. It is not a media player, it is meant to be a TV box to smarten up a non-smart TV. 80 pounds means it is more expensive than a Mi Box S (at least in my country).

maelor

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2019, 02:33:25 PM »
It's actually quite expensive for an Android TV box. You are paying more for the HiSilicon chipset and Google certification.

But the topic was "Are Himedia preparing a successor model to the Q5/10 Pro line?" and the S500 box is definitely NOT a contender.

Mount81

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2019, 04:38:25 AM »
Back to the Topic: 8K is useless and looking at the hardware spec sheet of this new chip, it will only support 8K up to 30HZ and doesn't even have HDMI 2.1, only the same old 2.0. There's a mention of Dolby Vision support on chipset level, but I doubt HiMedia will implement (and get/buy licence) in the FW. So this new modell seems an absolutely nonsense for current Q5 Pro/ Q10 Pro owners so far.

What I would expect from a really updated player is: HDMI 2.1 with the potential support for e-ARC and Variable Refresh Rate and HDR10+/Dolby Vision feature. Oh and I almost forget: proper FW development and support.   

HS2005

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2020, 03:21:58 PM »
Back to the Topic: 8K is useless and looking at the hardware spec sheet of this new chip, it will only support 8K up to 30HZ and doesn't even have HDMI 2.1, only the same old 2.0. There's a mention of Dolby Vision support on chipset level, but I doubt HiMedia will implement (and get/buy licence) in the FW. So this new modell seems an absolutely nonsense for current Q5 Pro/ Q10 Pro owners so far.

What I would expect from a really updated player is: HDMI 2.1 with the potential support for e-ARC and Variable Refresh Rate and HDR10+/Dolby Vision feature. Oh and I almost forget: proper FW development and support.   

I do agree that it's kind of strange that the new HC chip only provides 8K till 30fps and not support HDMI 2.1. Nonetheless do not expect content anytime soon that will have 8K/60fps and the same goes for 4K/120fps. On a side track: just watched Gemini man in 4K/60fps and it looked awesome, but Hollywood is not profound on 60fps material, which is a shame. It add more than 3D in my opinion. The HC chips was produced a couple of years ago, so I don't think it will have the power to decode 8K/60fps. I also don't see the AV1 codec present, which is important. It will take a while for chips to get to the full HDMI specs that goes to 10K/120fps atm. See https://www.hdmi.org/spec/hdmi2_1

DELIVERY    WARRANTY / RETURNS    PAYMENT    ABOUT
Privacy Policy. © SDHDIGITAL LTD 2021