United States
FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Zidoo Z9X Pro
Ultra-HD 4K Dolby Vision Home Theatre Media Player.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: Factory reset out of the blue (third time today!)  (Read 14395 times)

caseyjones

• View Profile
Re: Factory reset out of the blue (third time today!)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 02:52:34 PM »
Since these devices are DC operated, there shouldn't matter if the PS was grounded or not. If the box as actually in 'standby' that shouldn't of mattered. That depends on exactly what the Chinese call "standby". If it is in a state of full power on, with just the ouitput satge(s) off (no video ,or audio), that isn't "standby". AKA 'TiVo' power hog style.  >:(

But, USB is flaky anyway.

eccles

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 04:53:47 PM »
This has happened to me a couple of times recently. I got a new 4a PSU (Leicke) and it happened again today using that. It appears to happen as the main Android screen appears which is leading me to think that it might be Pcristi's utility "Mount Storage by UUID". This possibility popped up earlier in this thread. Does anyone else using this get the same problem? I'm reluctant to switch back to not using the UUID mount as it means reloading my library again from scratch.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:56:37 PM by eccles »

Justinn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 08:39:18 AM »
Thanks I have installed all 4 firmware in that order again. Just in case, I have only 2 of the 3 external drives connected now. We will see if it happens again.  :)

Update! Almost 3 months later and the factory reset didn't occur anymore after reinstalling the firmware from 2.0.1 up. I have to admit I havent been using the Q10 as much anymore (1-2 times a week) though, but I'm satisfied so far. I haven't installed 2.0.8 yet.

This has happened to me a couple of times recently. I got a new 4a PSU (Leicke) and it happened again today using that. It appears to happen as the main Android screen appears which is leading me to think that it might be Pcristi's utility "Mount Storage by UUID". This possibility popped up earlier in this thread. Does anyone else using this get the same problem? I'm reluctant to switch back to not using the UUID mount as it means reloading my library again from scratch.

For me it happened during the Boot sequence when it shows the Himedia logo on tv. Every time the reset took place, that sequence took longer than usual.

I used to use "Mount Storage by UUID" as well when I experienced those resets. After reinstalling the firmware using futeko's instructions, I did not install that utility anymore because I had a similar feeling the problem is somehow related to mounted storage. It doesn't prove anything yet, but this may be an indication.

I'm also more careful when (dis)connecting the external drives.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:43:56 AM by Justinn »

eccles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
I have had a couple of resets since last posting but at present it seems to be stable. Switching from 1.06 to the beta version 1.07 of the mount script seems to be working better.

Justinn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 12:46:45 PM »
Update! Almost 3 months later and the factory reset didn't occur anymore after reinstalling the firmware from 2.0.1 up. I have to admit I havent been using the Q10 as much anymore (1-2 times a week) though, but I'm satisfied so far. I haven't installed 2.0.8 yet.

Almost 9 months after the last facory reset, it unfortunately happened again yesterday.  :(  This time it happened a few seconds after a successful boot, it went straight to the 'Android firmware update logo' (that coloured circle) while showing 0000 on the front display. I was still on 2.0.8, so it was a nice opportunity to upgrade the firmware to 2.1.0 (USB + pinhole method).

Besides an updated Kodi to 17.6, I was not using any other app with the exception of pcristi's "Mount storage by UUID / Label" patch. My attached drives all have their own PSU.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:50:58 PM by Justinn »

eccles

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 02:34:13 PM »
Having gone through the process of replacing psu and system upgrades I'm convinced it is P Cristi's patch that is the cause. Unfortunately with three attached usb drives plus an internal one it would be a pain to go without the patch. Its usefulness far outweighs the occasional nuisance of having to restore my library. I imagine because it is so sporadic that to try and track down the reason the patch does this would be difficult. I can go months without a problem then i might get two resets in as many days. I'm therefore resigned to it happening and I make sure i do a kodi backup regularly.

Justinn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 03:45:55 PM »
I have the exact same setup. Maybe pcristi is able to look into it.
I'm also wondering if that patch is incorporated in his Custom Firmware.

Whats your method to do those Kodi backups?

eccles

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 09:31:16 PM »
It's the backup utility supplied as part of the kodi repository. I have it set to backup user addons so it backs up and restores the uuid patch as well as my media library.

pcristi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2018, 08:13:16 AM »
@eccles, @Justinn
Scrips Mount storage by UUID doesn't do things witch can trigger factory reset, but if box start running out of space factory reset can be trigger.
If anyone think is from Mount storage by UUID scripts just stop to use it or are welcome to improve.

eccles

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2018, 01:37:56 PM »
Thanks for the info pcristi. If the mounts themselves cause space to be used up, could that indirectly cause the box to reset?  If this is the case then doing an Android clean up every so often might stop it happening? Alternatively if the mount script is attempting to run while other initialisation processes have not finished might this also cause space to become temporarily unavailable?

avenger89

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2021, 05:54:32 PM »
OK after nearly 2 years, had my first auto factory reset. As @pcristi mentioned , i was running nearly out of storage. I installed few apps (TV apps) in past few days and i think ti should have downloaded more stuffs and filled up the space.

ITs pain to setup things again. But I think the "FULL" storage could be the cause for Auto Factory Reset.

eccles

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2021, 08:46:45 PM »
I still get the odd reset now and again. I have Kodi backup and extended actor details but that's about it, no additional Android apps loaded. Kodi Backup saves a lot of time when it happens, I just have to remember to do a backup every so often.

avenger89

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2021, 03:41:13 AM »
I still get the odd reset now and again. I have Kodi backup and extended actor details but that's about it, no additional Android apps loaded. Kodi Backup saves a lot of time when it happens, I just have to remember to do a backup every so often.

thats sad..

any plans to move to another media box ? If so which one ?

HereIsTom

• Sony 55A89 Android TV
    • View Profile
    • Cybershot Photo Website!
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2021, 03:34:28 PM »

thats sad..

I have a new Sony Android TV, works great with Kodi.
HiMedia Q10 Pro | ATV 2.1.7 | Kodi 18.9 | Rii i8 Plus | Harmony Ultimate One | Pioneer VSX-934 | Sony 55A89 4K Android TV

eccles

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2021, 04:35:33 PM »

thats sad..

No, it's a minor nuisance that I can live with. Otherwise I'm quite happy with the box.

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024