2 YEAR WARRANTY
FEATURED  :  MEDIA BOX  :  OTHER  FORUM  :  CART
Zidoo Z10
3.5" HDD BAY
AUTO REFRESH+RESOLUTION SWITCHING
UHD+BD+DVD ISO FULL MENUS
RAW AUDIO PASSTHROUGH
IN STOCK

Author Topic: Egreat A11...Review  (Read 11803 times)

OlivierQC

• View Profile
Egreat A11...Review
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:00:57 AM »
Hello,

We no longer present the company Egreat, which offers several multimedia boxes.

----------------------------

A thread to talk about the new Egreat A11 which is the first of a new serie of device at Egreatworld company, there will be 2 other models that will follow in the coming months, the A12 and the A13.

Thanks to Egreatworld for sending me a sample for review.

The Egreat A5 and A10 media players are still in the catalog, the A11 does not replace the A10, despite their similarity, these are 2 different products.

Specifications

CPU – Hi3798CV200 Quad core ARM Cortex-A53 up to 2.0GHz, ARMv8-A architecture with multimedia accelerator engine Neon, build in hardware JAVA accelerator and hardware floating point coprocessor.
GPU – Build in ARM Mali-720 3D GPU, OpenGL ES 3.1/3.0/2.0/1.1/1.0 and OpenVG 1.1 support, OpenCL 1.2/1.1 full profile/RenderScript support, Microsoft DirectX 11 FL9_3 support, ASTC(Adaptive Scalable Texture Compression) support, Pixel fill rate is greater than 2.7Gpix/s, Triangle up to 280Mtri/s, Floating point operations up to 103GFLOPS
Memory – 2GB DDR3
Storage – 16GB Flash, 3.5″ SATA bay, and 2-in-1 card reader (MMC/SD)
LAN Network – 10/100/1000M RJ45 adaptive ethernet
Wireless Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n/ac 2.4G/5G 2T2R 300M Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, BT4.0
Interface – 3.5″ HDD bay, SATA, USB 3.0 host, 2 x USB 2.0 host, RJ-45 Ethernet Jack (10/100/1000Mbps), HDMI2.0a(up to 4K2K 60fps output) + 1 x HDMI(Audio only), Optical SPDIF, Coaxial, AV, AC in Jack (110~220V 50/60Hz), Cooling fan, RS232, Power switch, 2 x IR remote receiver, IR Input, 2 x Build in Wi-Fi antenna, LED White-Light panel, Power LED indicator
File System – EXT3, EXT4, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, GPT
Video Decoder – HiVXE2.0 video decode engine, H.265/HEVC Main/Main10 [email protected] Hight-tier, [email protected] and [email protected] parallel decoding, H.264 AVC BP/MP/[email protected], H.264/AVC MVC up to [email protected], VP9 up to [email protected], VP6/8 up to [email protected], MPEG1 up to [email protected], MPEG-2 [email protected],[email protected], up to [email protected], MPEG-4 [email protected],[email protected], support GMC, support Short-Header format, up to [email protected], AVS JiZhun [email protected], AVS-P16(AVS+), up to [email protected], VC-1 [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], up to [email protected]
Video Formats – MKV, ISO, MP4, AVI, MOV, MPG, MPEG, WMV, DAT etc.
Graphics and Display Processing – HDR10 support
Subtitle – SRT, SSA, PGS, SMI
Audio Decoder – MPEG L1/L2, Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus Decoder-Converter, Dolby True HD, DTS HD/DTS M6, Dolby Digital/DTS pass throught, AAC-LC, HE AAC V1/V2, APE/FLAC/OGG/AMR-NB/WB, G.711(u/a), Dolby MS12 decode & sound effect, HE-AAC transcoding DD(AC3) support
Audio Formats – APE, FLAC, WAV, AAC, WMA, MP3, AMR, MID, OGG etc.
Picture Decoder – Full HD JPEG hardware decoding up to 64 million pixels, PNG hardware decoding up to 64 million pixels
Picture Formats – JPG, JPEG, PNG, BMP etc.
Support  – DLNA Protocol, Samba, NFS, Support 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard via 2.4GHz receiver, Blu-ray ISO Playback, Blu-ray Menu Navigation, HD Audio Passthrough, 1080P Hardware Acceleration, 3D Blu-ray ISO Playback, DVD Menu Navigation, Access Home Sharing Server, OTA Update, AirPlay
Case – Aluminum sand blasting process
Dimensions – 310 x 233 x 70mm
Weight – 2.695 kg

unboxing

Egreat chose to keep the same packaging as the previous box as the A10

the case is always as well protect as for the A10

we find the usual accessories for all types of connection, in the case of the A11 we have 2 HDMI cables in the box

As for the A5 and A10, batteries are not included, for me it's a bad point the minimum is to include batteries in the box to have a device ready to be use, it is just my opinion.

the HDMI cables appear to be of good quality, I will use them to verify that all type of videos pass without problems

---------------------------

The casing

The box is heavier than the A10, finish is very good and the materials used are high-quality.

A small test with the fingers, between the A10 and A11 on the right,

The front panel goes down to reveal  the internal HDD tray

the usb 2 port and the pin hole reset for updating

Aluminum sand blasting finish

There is a new VFD that displays different icon information about the A11 activity

There is on the front of the box 2 IR sensor on each side of the VFD to cover a large reception area

---------------------------

input/output

The Egreat A11 has all the inputs and output which you need.
RJ-45  (10/100/1000Mbps), HDMI2.0a + 1 x HDMI(Audio only), Optical SPDIF, Coaxial,  RS232, 2 x IR remote receiver, IR Input, 2 x Build in Wi-Fi antenna, etc...

For information:

There is a mistake on the manual. The right one should be 2.0a for main HDMI and 1.4a for audio only.

A11 Remote (IR + Bluetooth) AK86

The remote control uses 3 AAA batteries, it is a good point, because the remote control of the A10 with the 2 AAA batteries does not have much autonomy

The bottom of the remote has a grip

The remote control has 2 modes of operation : IR and bluetooth

Mode switching
The factory default is IR mode, if you need switch to bluetooth mode, please keep pressing the "Stop" key for 5 seconds, the indicator will be flashing with red light and then into blue light, which indicates it has entered into bluetooth mode. If you want to switch back to IR mode, just keep pressing the "Stop" key for 5 seconds again, the indicator will be flashing with blue light and then into red light, thus back to IR mode.

Automatic mode
1.Boot up Egeat Player, confirm that bluetooth is on.
2. Under IR mode, keep pressing "Eject" key for 5 seconds, the indicator will be flashing with red light and then into blue light, after the blue light is off, the remote control has entered into bluetooth connection status.
3. At this moment, the bluetooth remote control will connect Egreat Player automatically, you can operate the player freely within the effective range after successfully connected .

Manual Mode
1. Please switch the remote control to IR mode.
2. Boot up Egreat Player, turn on "Bluetooth" mode.
3. Keep pressing "Eject" key for 5 seconds, until the indicator entered slow flashing status with blue light, the remote control has entered into bluetooth pairing mode.
4. The player will search "AK86" device automatically,choose this player with the up/down key of the remote control, press "OK" key to connect.
5.After successfully connected, the player will show this dievice is connected, the remote control will automatically switch from IR mode to bluetooth mode, indicator will be off.

Telecommande RK86  bluetooth mode

The A11 has a weight of 2725 grams

Inside  the Egreat A11

At the request of Nice Monkey on the forum Futeko, I opened the A11

Those comments :

What I see as differences just by having a visual peak:
- The PSU is earthed. This not trivial as detailed earlier by me. Looking at the physical size it probably indeed has been sized generously also.
- The PSU is fully shielded which is the perfect thing to do. It avoids impact on audio/video signals both analog and digital.
- The output of analog video and audio use discrete HQ components. Very relevant for people using specially analog audio out for discrete AMP's and headsets. For HDMI there is less impact.

The extra weight comes from the PSU, we feel it when we hold the A11 in the hands, that's good news.

here are the settings I use in Dual HDMI

Note:
The settings are valid only with the Egreat player ( i did not try with vidon )

1st choice

You have a mix of 1080p and UHD movies in your videos collection and do not want to change the settings every 5 minutes of your UHD HDR TV.

2160p30 / YCbCr 444 / 10Bit / HDR auto

With these parameters you will be able to see your films HD and UHD HDR without problems.

If you have videos with a frequency above 50Hz, you will need to change the settings ( 2160p60 / YcBcR 4.2.0 / 10Bit, but except for some UHD demos this should not be the case if I do not make mistake )

2nd choice

You do not have yet UHD movies, only 1080p movies, here are the parameters (it's your TV that will do the upscaling 4K) :

1080p60 / YCbCr 444 10 bits / HDR auto.

If you want to see demo UHD / UHD HDR occasionally,  you will need to change the settings:

YcBcR or RGB 4.4.4 / 10Bit / HDR AUTO / with UHD Demo/ UHD movies (BDMV) having a frequency below 30HZ

YcBcR 4.2.0 / 10Bit / HDR AUTO / with UHD Demo having a frequency above 50HZ

3rd choice

The quality of the upscaling is different according to the brands of TV, so you can try both choice and see what settings you prefer.

According to your choice it is your egreat or your TV that will make the upscaling

For your information

when I chose the YcBcR 4.4.4 10Bit, my onkyo 656 receiver detects a 12bit signal instead of the 10bit, there is not this problem with the setting YcBcR 4.2.0 10Bit

there is a problem with the 2160p60 YcBcR 4.2.0 10Bit, the Egreat does not keep in memory the 10bit, if you turn OFF and turn ON the Egreat, the setting becomes 2160p60 YcBcR 4.2.0 8Bit instead of 10Bit.

Test

For my tests, I use the box in dual HDMI,  an original Egreat cable with the hdmi Audio only  and a Monster cable with the HDMI Main.

Note :
I also had the opportunity to do my tests using the HDMI Main with the original Egreat cable, and their cables allow you to enjoy UHD HDR content without any problem.

I have the latest firmware available FW 1.2.5.6 for my test

Having already done audio and video tests with the A5 and A10, we will find the same results unsurprisingly,  so I will do in the next days a small comparison between the Dual HDMI and the HDMI hand, we will see if there is a difference of PQ when using the dual hdmi on my 65 '' Sony.

DEMO DTS X / ATMOS

Nothing to report special, I tried different videos and everything works.

Do not forget that the HDMI Audio only port is in 1.4, so you will be limited to the 7.1 system.

Films DTS X et ATMOS

no problem with Atmos and DTS X soundtracks in HD or UHD movies, same for DTS / DTS MA / HRA or Dolby Digital

DEMO UHD/HDR

My demos are on my NAS and I have a network Gibabit, I do not encounter any particular problems, no buffering, no freezing, no stuttering, etc

Demo UHD / HDR below 30Hz

Settings : 2160p30 YcBcR 4.4.4 10Bit

Demo UHD / HDR above 30Hz

Settings : 2160p60 YcBcR 4.2.0 10Bit

Bluray Region BUG

The Bluray region bug seems to have been fixed.

to be continued...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:41:46 PM by OlivierQC »
Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 5.1.2, Egreat A5/A10, Zidoo X8/X9S, himedia Q10 PRO, Xbox One S

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
Re: Egreat A11...Review
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 03:39:19 PM »
Please include also pictures of the interior. That is where the real differences should be.

OlivierQC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 12:22:50 AM »
Hello Nice Monkey,

Here are the pictures, I'm not a pro.

Egreat A10

Egreat A11

see you

Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 5.1.2, Egreat A5/A10, Zidoo X8/X9S, himedia Q10 PRO, Xbox One S

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 07:51:17 PM »
Thanks a lot! Nice detailed pictures. These confirm the higher quality build of A11.

What I see as differences just by having a visual peak:
- The PSU is earthed. This not trivial as detailed earlier by me. Looking at the physical size it probably indeed has been sized generously also.
- The PSU is fully shielded which is the perfect thing to do. It avoids impact on audio/video signals both analog and digital.
- The output of analog video and audio use discrete HQ components. Very relevant for people using specially analog audio out for discrete AMP's and headsets. For HDMI there is less impact.

The cooling concept was not changed as far as I can see. I was not impressed with the cooling of the A10 as the casing did not absorb the heat of specifically the HDD very well, cooling mainly depended on the airflow. Only temperature measurements can reveal if this chassis does a better job?

bolkebear59

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 07:49:39 AM »
Hi Olivier and Nice Monkey,

I live in Thailand but am  from The Netherlands . Until now I use Kodi17.4  on my Windows 10 home pc. It works fine but I am missing a few things like ISO playback on bluray, 4K and menu-playback. So lately I am flirting with getting me  an Android-based mediaplayer. I read many posts on both this forum as well  as the brand- forums.  As I live near Bangkok it is rather easy to get a player ...but which one should I buy ?. In all  forums I see both your names coming up and both your reviews are, i.m.o., honest and informative.

I realize that THE perfect player does not excist but that is not my question.

I am thinking about buying one the  players listed below.
Egreat  A10 or A11
or
Zidoo X10. The Zidoo X10 is the one that I am thinking about. But here in Bangkok they are now dumping the Egreat A10 to clear stock for the coming A11 ....can buy  A10 now for around 6.290 Baht/ 160 Euro.  Compared with the Zidoo ( price in Euro here about 250,--) it would safe me  about Euro 90,--.

I like the looks  of the Egreat A11 and of the Zidoo X10 but I especially regarding the Egreat A11 I am not willing to pay  Euro 450,-- for nearly önly" better looks. It is the performance which counts.  If the performance is really  much better then ok...but if it is mainly "looks" then I pass. All have bugs but windows/kodi has that too  so PERFECT does not excist. I realize that.

My question to you both is.......considering the prize in combination with the performance which one would you buy ?

Olivier, I read your review of the Zidoo X10 and if  I understa

bolkebear59

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 07:56:23 AM »
sorry my internet line just  went on strike

What I want to ask Olivier......if I read your review about the Zidoo X10 you prefer that one over the A10.......considering the lower price would you still go for the Zidoo X10 ?. I know it will be me to make the final decision but I would appreciate your view.

Thanks....I am no newbie to Kodi but to Android I am.

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 12:41:46 PM »
@Bolkebear59
I am using my A10 with my media centre setup and my X9S in my bedroom. I have a slight preference for my A10 mainly for the menu/command structure using the standard players. Regarding PQ and features they are very much on par with minor differences. Each has different shortcomings but as both products already came a long way one can definitely live with those. The Egreat A10 needs some tuning to get the best PQ as OlivierQC mentioned, overall we are very much inline with our mutual views. If price is a serious factor I would go for a bargain offer as both are excellent choices. The A11 is really for the guys who just want the best.  If one spends many thousands on a 4K TV/Projector plus expensive audio equipment then I would go for the A11 for sure. Feature wise even an A5 offers the same as an A11.

For KODI-only users the choice is between Vidon and ZDMC. Vidon has a problem as development seems to be frozen, ZDMC is probably the best choice? No idea what Egreat plans here? For pure KODI only I would personally buy another (cheaper) media player not being based on Android but Linux instead.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:48:24 PM by Nice Monkey »

OlivierQC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 01:00:20 PM »
Hi Bolkebear59

I agree with Nice monkey.

both are excellent player, but the Egreat A10 with Vidon is really excellent, I will choose the A10 at this price (160Euros)

what I like about Egreat is stability with vidon, unlike zidoo / ZDMC sometimes I have an error message.

but without forgetting what Nice Monkey says above

Vidon has a problem as development seems to be frozen, but if it is to play movies only, the version 16.1 is enough

see you

Charles01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 03:13:57 PM »
Does that mean My A5 is not good enough to show my blu ray on the big screen then. I brought on the understanding that the picture and sound  where on par with the original Blu Ray  or have I got that wrong

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 03:52:54 PM »
Does that mean My A5 is not good enough to show my blu ray on the big screen then. I brought on the understanding that the picture and sound  where on par with the original Blu Ray  or have I got that wrong

Internal hardware is very similar between A5 and A11, the difference is the quality of some internal components (plug, cables, better shielding). Nice Monkey is correct that A11 will give better image quality, but the difference is very marginal.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the image quality of A5.

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »
can buy  A10 now for around 6.290 Baht/ 160 Euro.

I'd be very surprised if Egreat A10 is available anywhere at that price. It's way below cost price and Egreat A10 is not being discontinued.

bolkebear59

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 01:11:05 AM »
At first...thanks Olivier and Nice Monkey for both your advice. I I will go for the A10 then.  And will get me an Egreat A5 for the bedroom too. Still cheaper then one A11.
Sorry for Futeko.com but  yes the Egreat  players are cheaper here in Thailand. I just made a quick stroll around 4 shops  in Bangkok (I could give ythe names but as you have a shop too I in no way want to undermine your business) and mentioned below are the prices  I found Egreat A5 and A10 for here . Mind you it are not the Chinese models . One shopkeeper showed me a running Egreat A5 and it had all its software available in both Dutch and Danish. He told me mostly expats buy them.  Thai customers preferred the plug and play players and reading here and on other forums as well that both Zidoo and Egreat are not.  He also told me that Egreat is selling the A10 at a reduced price to get ridd off their stock. True or false I do not know but if i were Egreat I would do the same if I really wanted to push the A11.
I also checked on internet and  at the big shops I know in Chiang Mai and Udon Tani prices are near the same as ones you see below.
The A11 is at the moment only available at a very very upmarket shop near the Emporium shopping center and for a price that made me fastly run away.  Thai Baht 19.895,--...about 458 UK Pounds and they have to order it  for you if you want one.

Egreat A5 can be had here for between 4.290 Thai Baht and  4.990 Thai Baht...available all over the Bangkok. So between 95 and 115 pounds UK.
Egreat A10 is only available at 2 of the shops I know in Bangkok and at the two big electronic shops in Chiang Mai between  6.290 Thai Baht and 8.990 Thai baht (but then  with a free 500gb harddrive included). So in UK pounds between 145,-- and 205,--.

Today I will go get me the Egreat A10 and start to "play"with it. Should I run into any troubles I know where to go: this forum.
Thanks.

OlivierQC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 08:21:14 PM »
Hello,

I just made a small test with the 2 output HDMI of the Egreat A11.

----------------------

1st test
With a pioneer Elite SC81 which does not support the DTS X, ATMOS and the HDR, with a Sony TV 4k 850D compatible HDR.

Second test
With a Onkyo 656  which support the DTS X, ATMOS and the HDR, with a Sony TV 4k 930C compatible HDR.

----------------------

I did the test with a video UHD HDR that has a DTS HD soundtrack, because it seems to me to have seen that the hdmi 1.4 supports HD sound 7.1

----------------------

With the Pioneer I have DTS sound (but no HD), it is not catastrophic because it allows me to enjoy movies in UHD HDR with the dual HDMI output of Egreat A11 on my TV 4k HDR

-------------------------

With the Onkyo TX-NR656 I have DTS HD sound compared to the pioneer who only has DTS sound

Does this mean that a receiver not compatible with DTS-X and Atmos will not have HD sound with the hdmi 1.4 output of the A11,
despite the fact that the receiver is DTS HD compatible.

thank you in advance

OlivierQC
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:37:33 PM by OlivierQC »

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 09:02:06 AM »
All current audio standards including ATMOS and DTS-X should work via HDMI 1.4 as far as I know. It works in combination with HD video and some UHD modes only because of HDMI 1.4a bandwidth restrictions. As UHD Video is stripped with the splitting over 2 ports it should work then with any Video mode on the other port.

Obviously the AMP needs to support all advanced HD Audio modes too. ATMOS and DTS-X typically come with HDMI 2.0a capable receivers only. Some older receivers will be capable to strip the HD DD/DTS signal and still play the so called core as standard DD or DTS. My Onkyo older TX-NR609 receiver does so for ATMOS and DTS-X. Other HD audio modes are supported by it natively. Should work like that also using dual ports.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:44:20 AM by Nice Monkey »

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »
Q: PSU type? Egreat A11 has an IEC C14 power socket. We ship an IEC C13 power lead suitable for the country the order is being shipped to. Europe - 2-pin Europlug, UK - fused 3-pin UK, USA/Canada - 2-pin US, Australia/New Zealand - 2-pin Australian. If you have a request for a specific power lead type please email us.

Sorry Futeko but you should be shipping 3-pin power cords for all countries not just UK to make the box Earthed as it is designed for. I am aware that this requires multiple types of cords for various countries within Europe. Obviously a 2-pin cord just works but the better design advantage is lost. :'(

The socket on the box is the most common standard for professional equipment and finding an obsolete matching power cord should be very easy. This for those wanting to swap it for a quality cable. Desktop PC power cables are good examples. ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 10:00:53 AM by Nice Monkey »

Zidoo Z9S
AUTO REFRESH+RESOLUTION SWITCHING
UHD+BD+DVD ISO FULL MENUS
RAW AUDIO PASSTHROUGH
ZIDOO HOME THEATRE + OPENWRT
IN STOCK
DELIVERY  :  WARRANTY  :  RETURNS  :  FAQ  :  BREXIT  :  ABOUT  :  CONTACT
PayPal Acceptance Mark Prices are charged in £GBP with conversion at Paypal's current rate. The Euro / $USD price on our site is approximate. More info here. Prices for UK + EU delivery include VAT at 20%. COOKIE POLICY.

© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2019. All rights reserved.