FREE+FAST WORLD DELIVERY
UK STOCK   2 YEAR WARRANTY
MEDIA BOX  :  FORUM  :  CONTACT
Zidoo Z1000 Pro
New generation Zidoo Media Player based on Realtek 1619DR chipset. 3.5" HDD bay. HDR10+, HDR, Dolby Vision VS10. Zidoo Media Interface.  £349.99  €401  $470

Author Topic: Samba server optimisation (Original thread - locked)  (Read 13828 times)

qqq1971

• View Profile
Samba server optimisation (Original thread - locked)
« on: December 11, 2016, 05:31:16 PM »
I faced the problem of poor performance players samba server. Transfer speed from PC to device was 20-25 MB/c.  I did little patch for increase transfer speed. It change samba server parameters only. Now from device to PC 70-80 MB/s and about 70 MB/s from PC to device for me. Tested with 2.0.0 firmware.

I hope it will be useful not for me only.

Improve samba server performance patch.

Change log:
1. Created

Restrictions:
1. All your customisations in smb.conf will be lost.
2. Server name has changed from Android_**** to Q10Pro. So if you have two or more devices or you have Q5Pro you shold manually edit smb.conf and replace all occurensies Q10Pro to your favorit name. Each device has to have unique name.

Install and uninstal:
1. Download and unzip.
2. Run RUN_ME.bat, enter players ip-address, select action.

Android 5.1 is supported too.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:00:02 PM by futeko.com »

looun

• View Profile
    • himedia Pro Blog
Re: Samba server optimisation (Original thread - locked)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:10:42 PM »
very nice Tips!  ;D
there are also this parameters:

Code: [Select]
log level = 1
getwd cache = yes

log level = 1:
Produce the basic log

getwd cache:
This option caches the path to the current directory avoiding directory listing waits.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:32:35 PM by looun »

ceaca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 07:17:25 AM »
I faced the problem of poor performance players samba server. Transfer speed from PC to device was 20-25 MB/c.  I did little patch for increase transfer speed. It change samba server parameters only. Now from device to PC 70-80 MB/s and about 70 MB/s from PC to device for me. Tested with 2.0.0 firmware.

I hope it will be useful not for me only.

Improve samba server performance patch - https://cloud.mail.ru/public/9Gox/s2q1r3b32.

Change log:
1. Created

Restrictions:
1. All your customisations in smb.conf will be lost.
2. Server name has changed from Android_**** to Q10Pro. So if you have two or more devices or you have Q5Pro you shold manually edit smb.conf and replace all occurensies Q10Pro to your favorit name. Each device has to have unique name.

Install and uninstal:
1. Download and unzip.
2. Run RUN_ME.bat, enter players ip-address, select action.

Thank you sir. ;)

Mount81

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:40:14 AM »
LOL it's getting really hilarious, while many of these bugs/issues exists from like the release of these devices, the users had to and do better and faster job by solving them with their own patches, than the "expert engineers" at Himedia... (Don't know which smiley fits here better, so I go with them both:  ;D >:()...

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 10:16:12 AM »
LOL it's getting really hilarious, while many of these bugs/issues exists from like the release of these devices, the users had to and do better and faster job by solving them with their own patches, than the "expert engineers" at Himedia... (Don't know which smiley fits here better, so I go with them both:  ;D >:()...

This is often the case, not just with Himedia.

The best products are usually the ones with the biggest and most active userbase.

Q10 Pro is quite open, easy for users to customise.

Thanks qqq1971. Good work.

tmihai20

• Smart devices enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My blog (mostly Romanian)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 12:50:15 PM »
I did not know we could improve the speed I copy to and from the Q10 Pro. Nice find. Does it set up a password for samba (or the username)?

Please do not complain about the few things the community is providing FOR FREE so everybody can have a better experience or improve something on our TV boxed. HiMedia never claimed we would get 100 MB/s for transfers using samba. You know, complaining only makes things worse. I have plenty of experience on XDA, some developers actually left just because of too many complaints. Let's just enjoy our practical TV boxes and thank the guys making these scripts.
Riddle me this, riddle me that
Who is afraid of the big, black bat?
TV: Sony Bravia  KD-55XG8505 (4K, HDR - Dolby Vision)
TV: 42LA641S (42 inches, 3D, fullHD)
Player: Q10 Pro with HMD-2.0.0 2016-11-17.181855

Eriol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 01:52:21 PM »
I suggest this to a sticky thread.

tmihai20

• Smart devices enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My blog (mostly Romanian)
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 02:00:42 PM »
Yeah, definitely. I was actually surprised to not have seen it before. It is a new topic. I will compare it to the old smb.conf. The script could backup the old smb.conf in case someone wants to go back to the old config.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:57:35 AM by tmihai20 »
Riddle me this, riddle me that
Who is afraid of the big, black bat?
TV: Sony Bravia  KD-55XG8505 (4K, HDR - Dolby Vision)
TV: 42LA641S (42 inches, 3D, fullHD)
Player: Q10 Pro with HMD-2.0.0 2016-11-17.181855

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 02:48:32 PM »
OK, I have made it sticky. Also I've cleaned up the title so it matches the other patch threads.

qqq1971, I hope you don't mind but I have mentioned your patch and this thread to HiMedia. They may find some, erm, inspiration from it..

qqq1971

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 04:56:32 PM »
OK, I have made it sticky. Also I've cleaned up the title so it matches the other patch threads.

qqq1971, I hope you don't mind but I have mentioned your patch and this thread to HiMedia. They may find some, erm, inspiration from it..

Of course. By the way, pcristi offered a more elegant solution. Besides, I have no way to test for Andriod 5.1.1 (thanks for his help on this).

pcristi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 06:18:56 PM »
All work and credits to qqq1971.
Working on HiMedia 2th, 3th, 4th generation from any series if adb is enabled.

Android_DExxx hostname preserved
Active/inactive password  setting preserved

Download: Samba_conf_patch_v1.0.6

Change log:
1. Created
2. Added the ability to install on Android 5
3. Restored access to sdcard
4. (Skip)
5. Rewrite to apply in smb.conf
6. RUN_ME.bat improve
- autobackup smb.conf when patch apply
- add Backup(pull) smb.conf
- add Restore(push) smb.bak
- add Install custom smb.conf

Note:
- not smb.conf inside of archive start with v1.0.5.
- performance maybe are different between original qqq1971
his made better fining tuning for Android 7.0 witch are not support by Android 4.4.2 / 5.1.1 SDK.

Who doesn't follow on 4pda samba transfer speed to Q10/Q5 Pro patch
Before vs After apply patch

Of course. By the way, pcristi offered a more elegant solution. Besides, I have no way to test for Andriod 5.1.1 (thanks for his help on this).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:12:24 PM by pcristi »

switchblade

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 07:33:21 PM »
I use my Q10 to play movies on my NAS over my LAN using SMB shares.  Playback is good, since the recent fw 2.0 update, but I was curious if this patch would improve overall network performance when playing movies via network / smb shares.

pcristi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 08:03:32 PM »
Hello

Samba server optimization are for effected on Q10/Q5 samba client performance, you can try do some samba optimization on you NAS Samba server if supported. Will be better experience for user witch use Q10/Q5 like NAS storing movies and playing from other samba clients via samba share or copy movies from PC to Q10/Q5 Pro attached HDD.

I use my Q10 to play movies on my NAS over my LAN using SMB shares.  Playback is good, since the recent fw 2.0 update, but I was curious if this patch would improve overall network performance when playing movies via network / smb shares.

q10pro1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 09:26:37 PM »
I installed the patch I tried to flukes a Q10pro from pc film, but the computer locks up, that I'm wrong?

switchblade

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 12:59:11 AM »
Hello

Samba server optimization are for effected on Q10/Q5 samba client performance, you can try do some samba optimization on you NAS Samba server if supported. Will be better experience for user witch use Q10/Q5 like NAS storing movies and playing from other samba clients via samba share or copy movies from PC to Q10/Q5 Pro attached HDD.

Sorry, perhaps I did not state my question very well.   I do not have nor do I need any samba changes on my server - it does just fine.  My only issue was when I tried watching a movie with the Q10 via smb over my network.  If I play the same movie from my same NAS  server with my popcorn hour player, works just fine.  Therefore I am asking if this patch will improve overall network performance on the Q10 for network speed - when accessing a smb share from my server.

After the recent FW release, I have had no issues with playback - knock on wood!   That said, I figured if this patch would help improve network communications on my q10, then why not try it.

If these  are good improvements, then they should be added to the official fw.

DELIVERY  :  WARRANTY / RETURNS  :  FAQ  :  BREXIT  :  ABOUT
Price in £GBP with conversion by Paypal (more info). UK+EU delivery includes VAT at 20% (more info). Privacy Policy. © SDHDIGITAL LTD 2020