FREE+FAST WORLD DELIVERY
UK STOCK   2 YEAR WARRANTY
MEDIA BOX  :  FORUM  :  CONTACT
Zidoo Z9X
New generation Zidoo Media Player based on Realtek 1619DR chipset. HDR10+, HDR, Dolby Vision VS10.  £179.99  €205  $240

Author Topic: The ultimate PSU to use as a replacement!  (Read 156 times)

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
The ultimate PSU to use as a replacement!
« on: September 27, 2020, 11:20:06 AM »
Regularly I am asked what PSU to use as a replacement with media players.

The following rough guideline for PSU size calculation:

- USB2 max 2.5W per port
- USB3 max 4W per port
- SATA internal/external is about 10W average running per 3.5 HDD and above 15W/20W when starting up.
- Most Android media player boxes are about 7W-10W sustained when running APPs
- STB's with power for LNB's will run in the 15W-20W range.
I personally don't like PSU's running above 50% continuous load as they tend to (over)heat, produce rippled output and fail early over time. Also prefer earthed versions despite not being common for home audio/video in The Netherlands.

My own setup now is a shared 120W linear PSU:
I am using a 120W Linear PSU configured to 2X 12V 5A output. See attachment.
This baby is long and very heavy with good specs. Added an additional 220V power input filter myself to it.
This unit shares a single toroidal transformer but further consists of 2 fully independent linear power supplies. Obviously the unit is earthed but using a specific cable can be disconnected from earth if desired. In fact the power cable that came with it was such a version.

I use this big unit to replace several brick type and powerplug integrated switched mode PSU's.
In have 3 different media players and a STB (sat receiver) all connected to output-1. These are never all running in parallel but even that will work still within power limits if accidentally happening. To wire them all together I am using a 1:4 fanout power cable (typically sold for power led strings sharing a single power adapter).
Output-2 is used to connect in the same way any powered 3.5 inch HDD's. Connecting 3 is very safe to do, but even more will work. As HDD's produce quite a power surge when starting up it is a good practice to have them on a second stabilizer and sequence power on.

Practical experience:
It is a nice cabling/plug cleanup and obviously vast improvement on PSU specs working as expected/intended. Do I see and/or hear quality differences? Difficult to tell but for sure it did not harm. Being all digital the difference will be difficult to perceive but could be measured for sure.
For those interested in the consumption aspect: The combined standby power consumption of the total setup remains below 3 W which surprised me a lot (expected a lot higher value). No need to switch the PSU off physically but it can be done conveniently with a single switch on the front. Leave it always on power myself. Actual power consumption during operation is hardly influenced by the new power setup.

Costs of the whole about €200 including surge filter added, import taxes plus handling and additional required cables. Well worth it in my perception.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 01:55:26 PM by Nice Monkey »

DELIVERY  :  WARRANTY / RETURNS  :  FAQ  :  BREXIT  :  ABOUT
Price in £GBP with conversion by Paypal (more info). UK+EU delivery includes VAT at 20% (more info). Privacy Policy. © SDHDIGITAL LTD 2020