2 YEAR WARRANTY
FEATURED  :  MEDIA BOX  :  OTHER  FORUM  :  CART
Zidoo X20
2X HDMI
2X 3.5" HDD BAY
REFRESH+RESOLUTION SWITCHING
UHD+BD+DVD ISO FULL MENUS
IN STOCK

Author Topic: CONVINCED: Insufficient Power Supply  (Read 1561 times)

stl

• View Profile
Re: CONVINCED: Insufficient Power Supply
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 05:30:02 PM »
So today I've made some current measurements in my Q10 Pro:
At power on when the mechanical hard drive starts spinning it reaches about 2A
During boot: 1A
With no app running: 0.6A
With the hard drive working (downloading torrents): 0.7A
With the hard drive working and playing a video file: 0.8A
With also an external unpowered 2.5 USB hard drive connected:1A

My hard drive is a 3.5" Toshiba DT01ACA050, the current consumption will vary with other hard drives.

I believe that most issues with the power supplys are caused by aging components (capacitors) and not the rating.

Mount81

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 04:08:42 AM »
The "oldest" Q10 Pros still could be just 2 and a half years old. It must have be some very-very cheap design if it's components just getting amortized by nothing. And so why did the swap for a higher A rated PSU solved the issues in many cases? Or the "aging capacitors" are just eating away the power on the way? Not denying, just asking...

stl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »
The "oldest" Q10 Pros still could be just 2 and a half years old. It must have be some very-very cheap design if it's components just getting amortized by nothing. And so why did the swap for a higher A rated PSU solved the issues in many cases? Or the "aging capacitors" are just eating away the power on the way? Not denying, just asking...

Yes, very cheap. Just go on ebay and see how much it cost a 12V power supply sent from China.
In you particular case it could be that the hard drive is very power hungry or the power supply was going bad anyway, bad capacitors usually just don't go bad overnight, they degrade over months.
I'm just stating that 2A should be enough for the common user.

Mount81

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »
Ah, I think I've just misunderstand your words regarding the capacitors and the "aging components".  I've thought you mean the components inside the Q10 Pro, not in the PSU. It would be still far the better case, as one only needs to swap the PSU and not to throw the whole Box away sometime because of it's components "aging"... So, yea, that also could be the explanation.

caseyjones

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 01:17:36 PM »
As far as electronics go as long as the voltage is correct the amperage does not matter over required specs, You could have a 12v 40 Amp supply and it would not matter, A device only pulls the amps it needs and no more,
If I didn't know better, I would of thought I typed that. Very well put!

Just go on ebay and see how much it cost a 12V power supply sent from China.
Then look around at your local electronics outlet (if you actually have one), or mail order and see what the markup is.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:24:37 PM by caseyjones »

SSThing

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 04:48:53 PM »
As far as electronics go as long as the voltage is correct the amperage does not matter over required specs, You could have a 12v 40 Amp supply and it would not matter, A device only pulls the amps it needs and no more,
If I didn't know better, I would of thought I typed that. Very well put!
A device "only pulls the amps it needs and no more" when it is working correctly as designed/specified.
 When it goes wrong.....???
LG EC930V, Onkyo TX-NR3030, LSA Audio LSA2 speakers, Polk Audio centre.

kodiloaded

• It's not good to step in dogshit !
    • View Profile
    • kodiloaded.com
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 11:30:48 AM »
When it goes wrong, it fries, Not going to matter if its 2 amps or 40 its still going to cook if it decides to take a crap

Zidoo X20 Pro
PRO DAC
2X HDMI
2X 3.5" HDD BAY
REFRESH+RESOLUTION SWITCHING
IN STOCK
DELIVERY  :  WARRANTY  :  RETURNS  :  FAQ  :  BREXIT  :  ABOUT  :  CONTACT
PayPal Acceptance Mark Prices are charged in £GBP with conversion at Paypal's current rate. The Euro / $USD price on our site is approximate. More info here. Prices for UK + EU delivery include VAT at 20%. COOKIE POLICY.

© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2019. All rights reserved.