United States
FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Eversolo DMP-A6 + BTR-12
Digital Audio Streamer with ESS DAC.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: Preparing new HDD for Q10 pro  (Read 17161 times)

Eric

• View Profile
Re: Preparing new HDD for Q10 pro
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 06:44:04 AM »
@Transit266 I have the same problem, It seems that my HDD (WD30Green) is not recognize at all.

It's formatted in GPT / NTFS / 4k, but nothing. You talk about a led, can you give me more information about this led, where it is and when it flash?

Thanks.

Transit266

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 07:11:56 AM »
@Transit266 I have the same problem, It seems that my HDD (WD30Green) is not recognize at all.

It's formatted in GPT / NTFS / 4k, but nothing. You talk about a led, can you give me more information about this led, where it is and when it flash?

Thanks.

Try to push the SATA pin harder, then the whole touch screen (up, down, left, right... touch keys) of Q10 pro flash for a second. Then turn on Q10  Pro and it shows Hard Drive on native Media Center

Transit266

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 07:16:35 AM »
Btw, I noted that there is hidden symbol "HDD",  "USB" on the left of Clock screen. But I dont know what is indicated for. My first thought is that when we attach USB or Hard Disk it will light up. Futeko, could you explain this indicator for us?

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 07:33:32 AM »

Thanks.

Always need the output of the "fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo x: " command as documented first. Only with that I can see what might be happening and what type of drive you got.

Now that WD started shipping Native 4K drives (even for 2TB and maybe even smaller)  we got an additional format to deal with. Don't have one of those myself yet  (in the future all will be like this). These are sold as stand alone drives and also used for their new USB3 enclosures.

For correct working the SATA driver (Internal HDD) now also needs to support GPT, NTFS with 4K sectors. Thus far this always was GPT with NTFS and 512 Byte sectors not 4K.

Via USB and a translating Bridge it all worked with MBR, NTFS and 4K Sectors. You probably can reformat a Native 4K drive to this if it was sold with GPT instead of MBR. Never saw any media player supporting GPT via USB but Himedia answered that Q10 Pro does (asked that earlier). It will be a serious problem if it does not.

For small disks < 2.2 TB MBR, NTFS with 512 Byte sectors was used regardless internal or external. That time is gone now for at least some WD new HDD's.

My Q10 Pro arrived yesterday and did the HDD tests first.

Tried a large number of HDD (WD and Seagate from 2 TB to 6 TB) both Internal and External via USB. Detection is fast and reliable. No differences found with the existing tutorial as is. What I can't test is HDD support for Native 4K drives as I don't own any yet.

The USB External Docking test for > 2TB (= HDD as used Internal) failed. A HDD is NOT detected, but standard MBR up to 2 TB  will work this way without problems.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:53:37 AM by Nice Monkey »

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 07:42:22 AM »
Btw, I noted that there is hidden symbol "HDD",  "USB" on the left of Clock screen. But I dont know what is indicated for. My first thought is that when we attach USB or Hard Disk it will light up. Futeko, could you explain this indicator for us?

They are unused see:

http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=691.0

Updated the text.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:23:14 AM by Nice Monkey »

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT ∙ COMPARE AUDIO STREAMERS
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024