FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Zidoo UHD5000
Professional UHD 4K Dolby Vision Hi-Fi audio Home Theatre Media Player with ESS9068 DAC.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: Using a SD-Card to expand Internal Android system storage running Nougat  (Read 47259 times)

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
Re: Using a SD-Card to expand Internal Android system storage running Nougat
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 02:02:49 AM »
No the tools to move dat seem not to be foolproof. Had to do a full restore myself too, loosing all data implicitly.

Being prepared and having a full backup of everything before playing with this feature is highly recommended.

icerno78

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2017, 06:21:40 AM »
I found now a solution which works fine for me.
The microsdis now formated as "normal" extern space.
after that i moved the folder thumnail from my kodi to the sdcard.
then i created a xml-file called "advancedsettings.xml" into the userdata folder from kodi

with the content:
<advancedsettings>
 <pathsubstitution>
 <substitute>
 <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
 <to>XXX/Thumbnails/</to>
 </substitute>
 </pathsubstitution>
 </advancedsettings>

replace the XXX with the path to the sdcard. and everythings fine.

zipho

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 07:06:46 PM »
Is this method workable on Q10pro with android 5.1 ?

Paulo72

• View Profile
Do I format as FAT 32?  I used this methos but nol uck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5VVjEopxfw

Phil181

• View Profile
Do I format as FAT 32?  I used this methos but nol uck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5VVjEopxfw
As per instructions on page 1, you need to let Android 7 format the card for it to be usable as internal storage, not a PC (which can be used to delete the partition only).

Paulo72

• View Profile
This is quite easy to do.  I used the following method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5VVjEopxfw
Do not format the sd card (stop at 1:44).  You than then check the sd card using disk management on the pc.  It will show as unformatted.  Then you can insert into the media player and set up sd card as internal memory on himedia q5 pro. 

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
Often an image says more than many words. Please have a look at the Kingston example for hybrid cards (supporting both SDHC and SDXC type buses):
- Only SD/SDHC cards with the "Speed Class logo" indicating compatibility with conventional devices will work.
- Native UHS I and UHS II type SDXC Cards will not be supported as these use a different bus not supported by Q10 Pro/Q5 devices.
- Speeds are restricted as indicated by the conventional logo (10 typically) using hybrid SDHC/SDXC cards for Himedia.
- Probably SDXC cards above 32 Gbyte do work too provided these carry the SDHC compatibility logo/speed indicator. See message of JayceOoi using a 64 GByte card.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:31:57 PM by Nice Monkey »

ronald

• View Profile
Hi

I am using a sd card from philips class 10 miceo sdhc. I did remove the partion of this card with my macbook  and did install the card in my himedia Q5
pro player. But nothing happens. Yes the himedia is seeing in media centre this sd card and even  in ES file explorer  is seeing my sd card. But my internal memory is not expanding.  What is the solution?

Paulo72

• View Profile
I removed the partition from my 32GB Class10 SD Card. The card is now shown as unallocated.  I inserted the card in the q5pro and set it as internall storage.  But wh does it still show my internal storasge as 8GB,  and why did I receive a warning that I could'nt install an apk as it said my storage is full.  I almost wish I stayed with my Other box. 

ronald

• View Profile
yes i removed indead the partition and in ES exploirer it is showing now as a sd card

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:34:28 PM by ronald »

Mr Ed.

Often an image says more than many words. Please have a look at the Kingston example for hybrid cards (supporting both SDHC and SDXC type buses):
- Only cards with the "Speed Class logo" indicating compatibility with conventional devices will work.
- UHS-I will not be supported as this is a different bus not supported by Q10 Pro/Q5 devices.
- Speeds are restricted as indicated by the conventional logo (10 typically) using hybrid cards for Himedia.
- Probably SDXC cards above 32 Gbyte do work too provided these carry the SDHC compatibility logo/speed indicator. See message of JayceOoi using a 64GByte card.

UHS-1 not supported as the card will not work? I use a UHS-1 card and it works fine, tried a UHS-3 32Gb too but that one failed.

ronald

• View Profile
this card should work?

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
this card should work?
It is labeled as a hybrid card and should work with Himedia (not with all media players though).
When formatted for Internal storage it will give an additional internal  storage device, not expand the existing internal storage. So you end up with 2 internal storage resources. It depends on actual individual APP implementations if they can use that second resource or not.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:36:36 PM by Nice Monkey »

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
UHS-1 not supported as the card will not work? I use a UHS-1 card and it works fine, tried a UHS-3 32Gb too but that one failed.
Your card must be a hybrid card working via the slow bus. Nothing strange about that. Some cards don't even get the correct labels/logos, which is very bad.

Hybrid cards do work, but UHS I (Class-1/3) native cards without the compatibility  logo won't. There are also UHS I Class-3 hybrid cards and there are even huge (seen up to 128 GB) SDHC only cards (typically brand-less).

Never saw an ultra fast UHS II hybrid card, which does not make too much sense anyway. UHS II cards have a dual bus and have a dual row of pins (easy for identification) and are almost as fast as SSD.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:35:29 PM by Nice Monkey »

Paulo72

• View Profile
What is the combatability logo?

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT ∙ COMPARE AUDIO STREAMERS
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024