FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus
8K Dolby Vision & HDR10+ Media Player with 2.5" HDD rack.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: Using a SD-Card to expand Internal Android system storage running Nougat  (Read 47231 times)

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
Android has since version Marshmallow the concept of Internal and Portable storage. Internal Storage is used for APP's, Settings and Data.
When a formatted SD-Card is inserted it will be recognized as Portable storage by Android. This is also valid for the Android Nougat version on Q5 / Q10 Pro.

To re-use a SD-Card as Internal Storage the existing partitioning on the card must be removed first using a PC.
1) Delete all  partition(s) found.
2) Re-insert the card into the media player. It will now be found as "unsupported" via Setup ==> Storage. Go to the options on the top right corner.
3) You now can use the Android supplied Sandisk format utility to format it as either Internal or Portable. Just follow the instructions.
4) When chosen for Internal you now may move data to the new card to reduce used space on the build-in flash memory if desired. KODI itself will not be moved but the Data and settings will be moved as the standard procedure.

Be aware that reversing the proces is more complex and you may not remove the SD-Card anymore. It now has become integral part of your setup.
Use a fast Class-10 card for this purpose only as it will affect loading times of both APP's and Data.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 04:36:18 PM by Nice Monkey »

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Using a SD-Card to expand Internal Android system storage running Nougat
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 09:15:45 AM »
Useful info that overcomes any lack of flash storage problems, particularly useful for Q5 Pro.

JayceOoi

• View Profile
    • JayceOoi.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 08:24:57 AM »
Is this method workable on internal HDD?

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 08:46:38 AM »
No, SD card only.

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 09:05:52 AM »
No, SD card only.
Would be conflictive with security and performance goals. The target is encrypted for instance and can't be used for anything else. I don't think you would like that to happen with an entire HDD. It is not an equivalent of a swap file (for RAM extension), which may exist for Android?

Standeman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 09:00:20 PM »
SD-Card Only, it does not work with a USB 3.0 thumb drive ? These are faster in read/write, but I did had some issues with it. Now I am afraid to even use it, even on SD-Card. I'm not an expert on Android, but doesn't Android see an USB thumb drive also as a SD Card? Or does it handle it differently internally?

If using an SD Card over USB thumb drive is better supported for expanding the internal storage, I might give it a go and invest in a fast SDHC card. I believe with latest version of f/w and Android 7 (Nougat) the Q5 Pro also support SDXC (UC3) cards? Bigger storage and faster speeds! :)

Thanks for any reply in advance

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 08:03:20 AM »
SD-Card Only, it does not work with a USB 3.0 thumb drive ? These are faster in read/write, but I did had some issues with it. Now I am afraid to even use it, even on SD-Card. I'm not an expert on Android, but doesn't Android see an USB thumb drive also as a SD Card? Or does it handle it differently internally?

If using an SD Card over USB thumb drive is better supported for expanding the internal storage, I might give it a go and invest in a fast SDHC card. I believe with latest version of f/w and Android 7 (Nougat) the Q5 Pro also support SDXC (UC3) cards? Bigger storage and faster speeds! :)

Thanks for any reply in advance
-  Who wants to sacrifice the precious single USB-3 port for Internal Memory? You may not remove it anymore once installed!
- Never read anywhere that it is supported anyway. Yes, they use different drivers.
- Forget about using SDXC cards these are not supported on any media player I have seen thus far.

What you need is a Class-10 SDHC card of probably 32 GByte (=SDHC maximum), which will do fine for the job. You must leave it in once commissioned as Internal.

SSThing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
Will this work using a micro sdhc card in the appropriate SD adapter?
LG EC930V, Onkyo TX-NR3030, LSA Audio LSA2 speakers, Polk Audio centre.

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 09:22:17 PM »
Yes, in fact it is what I used for actual testing myself.

SSThing

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »
Yes, in fact it is what I used for actual testing myself.
Awesome, thank you.
LG EC930V, Onkyo TX-NR3030, LSA Audio LSA2 speakers, Polk Audio centre.

Mr Ed.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 11:13:46 AM »
So i executed this turtorial and it seems to work out fine. I inserted a class10 Micro SDHC 32Gb into the Q5 Pro and formatted it as internal memory, but after that it still says 4Gb and i don't see were de 32gig went to or is located.
Any ideas?

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 12:52:07 AM »

Mr Ed.

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 07:16:02 PM »

Mr Ed.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 07:21:07 PM »
Hey guys, i followed the instructions as described. But after formatting the SDcard as internal storage and moving apps and data to the extra memory the media-box crashes. I tried rebooting several times but no luck, my Q5 Pro does start up but after that freezes and than needs a reboot. When i remove the SDcard the box works fine besides a few apps that were moved to the new storage space.
The SDcard i use is a Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 U3 32Gb, could it be that 32gig is to large for this option?

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 11:21:16 PM »
The SDcard i use is a Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 U3 32Gb, could it be that 32gig is to large for this option?
There may be a size issue?  I have another Android 6 based media player which absolutely refuses my 32 G byte SDHC card but smaller once's do work.
But more likely it is due to being a Hybrid card.

Tested my Q10 Pro with a 32 G SD- Card only for an actual install. Not using it in practice as I have no need for it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:13:15 AM by Nice Monkey »

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT ∙ COMPARE AUDIO STREAMERS
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024