United States
FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Zidoo Z20 Pro
Ultra-HD 4K Dolby Vision Home Theatre 3.5" HDD Media Player.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: Q10 Pro power supply  (Read 2427 times)

robb.

• View Profile
Q10 Pro power supply
« on: September 23, 2019, 02:13:38 PM »
I have finally received Q10 pro and one of the things i noticed is the 12V 2A power supply included in the package, could this cause any issue with underpowering of Q10 pro when 6tb internal hdd is installed and let's say a external hdd and usb flash drive plugged with wifi on and 4k playback through kodi? I didn't tested yet, but could this be a reason for Kodi crashing issues (as i read lot of people have issue with kodi) on laptop, pc, phone kodi works without any issues as the power supply is sufficient on these devices, could this be the issue? Please forgive me i am new here and trying to figure it out this before i add my hdd etc.

Thanks

stl

• View Profile
Re: Q10 Pro power supply
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 03:56:20 PM »
The 2A power supply should be sufficient:

So today I've made some current measurements in my Q10 Pro:
At power on when the mechanical hard drive starts spinning it reaches about 2A
During boot: 1A
With no app running: 0.6A
With the hard drive working (downloading torrents): 0.7A
With the hard drive working and playing a video file: 0.8A
With also an external unpowered 2.5 USB hard drive connected:1A

My hard drive is a 3.5" Toshiba DT01ACA050, the current consumption will vary with other hard drives.

I believe that most issues with the power supplys are caused by aging components (capacitors) and not the rating.

robb.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 04:59:27 PM »
@stl

Thank You, it seems that current is right on 2A with spinning hdd, if i decide to use 5A or 6A proper (laptop style) power supply i suppose it wouldn't hurt. Supplied power supply is a european version and i need UK version anyway, also power supply with more Amp handling don't work that hard and overheat with  devices with less current requirement. Now i just need to decide which firmware to use for upgrade, Q10 came with official 2.1.4 (android7) with Kodi Krypton 17.0. Thanks.

laager

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 04:12:57 PM »
The stock wall wart PSU is generally fine if you do not want to use USB powered peripherals, like a WD Passport drive. Even then, it can work fine for a while but on a peak load transfer things start to get dicey and you can end up with disk errors.

I looked at the various current draw reports. I did my own calculations. I gave the stock PSU the benefit of the doubt. It should have been fine. Yet, in the end, after numerous occasions of failed transfers and disk errors I gave up. I purchased a 5A inline brick PSU to feed it and have not had a problem since.

It is telling that for box like the Popcorn Hour A-400, a 3A inline brick PSU is supplied as standard and I have never had a problem with one of those, regardless of what I connected to it...

stl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 07:36:32 PM »
The main problem is that the cheap Chinese made power supplies have crappy capacitors that start to fail after a couple of years or even less if they are subjected to warm environments. A good 2A power supply should be enough for the Q10 in most cases.

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024