FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Zidoo Z9X Pro
Ultra-HD 4K Dolby Vision Home Theatre Media Player.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: Q5, Kodi with Plex Plugin, Refresh Rate changing, DTS audio passthrough issues  (Read 8389 times)

11alastair11

• View Profile
Hi,

I bought a Q5 to replace my RPi3 in my lounge system. I like to think that i'm pretty experienced with media system setup, but i'm having a lot of issues getting this system to do what i want it to.

The system is set up as: Q5 running Android 7.0 & Kodi 17--->HDMI---->Yamaha Receiver---->HDMI---->Panasonic Plasma

What i want is to use the new Plex Kodi plugin to play my movies with refresh rate switching and audio passthrough.

Issues i've found:

1. The Highmedia player/wrapper doesn't work with Kodi Plugins. So the plex plugin fails when a film is selected to play. So lets use the internal kodi player...
2. BUT The internal kodi player doesn't support refresh rate changing out of the box, so I installed the refresh rate change addon (as per sticky thread in this forum) - this changes the screen refresh rate as expected.
3. BUT, i've noticed that audio isn't coming through to the receiver as a multichannel stream, it's showing it is receiving 2 channels only.

Just trying to work out if this is the passthrough bug with "HD-Audio", or if it's an issue with the way the refresh rate change addon is interacting with the q5, or if something else is going on.

Could someone check my working.

Thanks.

Al

pcristi

• View Profile
Android 7.0 present f/w not working with any Kodi 17 version and Plex add-on with DD/DTS passthrough.

if you really want Kodi 17 + Plex add-on Q5, need running Android 5.1.1. & Kodi 17 shitty /test-builds from here, & disable "Mediacodec (surface)".

11alastair11

• View Profile
OK. So it's a KODI 17/Android 7.0 issue? How about 16.1 with Android 7.0? probably easier for me to sideload Kodi than rollback the Q5 firmware...

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Cheers.

Al

pcristi

• View Profile
Android 7.0 / Kodi 16.1 + Plex add-on DD/DTS passthrough is working.
For best experience  install  [PATCH] Auto framerate switching - KODI ADDON too.

11alastair11

• View Profile
OK. Learning curve. I've avoided these issues previously by using thin clients such as libreelec....

I've been reading the 33 page "Android - Passthrough Changes with v17" thread on the kodi forum.

I know that this is a community/vendor forum rather than Himedia directly, but do you know if they are working towards a firmware compliant with the IEC61937 Audio standard so that Kodi 17 player can passthrough multichannel audio with Android 7?

Al

Sevaus

• View Profile
Android 7.0 / Kodi 16.1 + Plex add-on DD/DTS passthrough is working.
For best experience  install  [PATCH] Auto framerate switching - KODI ADDON too.

Could you post a link for Plex add-on, please?
we accept the default settings or we must change settings for  passthrough working? can you post a screenshot for the settings?
TIA

looun

• View Profile
    • himedia Pro Blog
OK. Learning curve. I've avoided these issues previously by using thin clients such as libreelec....

I've been reading the 33 page "Android - Passthrough Changes with v17" thread on the kodi forum.

I know that this is a community/vendor forum rather than Himedia directly, but do you know if they are working towards a firmware compliant with the IEC61937 Audio standard so that Kodi 17 player can passthrough multichannel audio with Android 7?

Al

kodi 17 work ONLY with shield TV and  Mi box.... it's back step  from 16.1... than work better.

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
kodi 17 work ONLY with shield TV and  Mi box.... it's back step  from 16.1... than work better.

Kodi 17 native player HD-Audio passthrough will work with Android 7 + Kodi 17, HiMedia are working on it.

But for now, yes, Kodi 16.1 works better.

dogsrus

• View Profile
Any update on this? I just ordered a Q5 pro for this setup, just uninstall Kodi 17 and install 16.1 etc as previious post mentioned? Thanks

Phil181

• View Profile
Any update on this? I just ordered a Q5 pro for this setup, just uninstall Kodi 17 and install 16.1 etc as previious post mentioned? Thanks
As long as you use the "wrapper" service that was updated with the latest firmware 2.0.3, Kodi 17.1 is working fine as a front end for the built-in MediaCenter.
HD audio passthrough (including TrueHD, DTS-HD MA and LPCM 7.1).  I have tested a few different video samples and auto-refresh is working fine on my 1080p TV.  Switches from 50Hz to 60Hz to 24Hz (23.976) according to the file being played  :).

Skipping the use of Plex takes another variable out of the equation (and IMHO is not required when Kodi is used).
You can also install SPMC (which is a Kodi 16.5 fork) at the same time as keeping Kodi 17.1.
Another option to try is the Archos Video Player that can be installed from PlayStore (see separate thread here).

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT ∙ COMPARE AUDIO STREAMERS
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024