United States
FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Eversolo DMP-A6
Digital Audio Streamer with ESS DAC.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: New possible user ... question about .ISO's  (Read 18116 times)

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New possible user ... question about .ISO's
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 09:01:15 AM »
Some of the advertised features for Dune are Auto-framerate and Auto-resolution. I always missed these options as my TV or AMP (QDEO) probably do a very good upscaling job?

At least i would like to have the control which component does that job and my collection is a true mix of everything.
 I see some intention for auto-framerate but auto-resolution is nowhere mentioned I think?

What exactly is auto-resolution?

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 11:31:28 AM »

Best word for a setting would not be "auto-resolution" but ""match source" or just "source".
It works as auto but then this re-applied for any media-file started to be played.  It tries to match that source then with the TV capabilities established via HDMI.
Any source format matching native supported format on the TV will result in that format without any upscaling being forwarded. Looks very similar to RAW for Audio.  RAW could also be used as a label for this option (= auto-framerate + auto-resolution).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:47:36 AM by Nice Monkey »

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 01:51:04 PM »

Best word for a setting would not be "auto-resolution" but ""match source" or just "source".
It works as auto but then this re-applied for any media-file started to be played.  It tries to match that source then with the TV capabilities established via HDMI.
Any source format matching native supported format on the TV will result in that format without any upscaling being forwarded. Looks very similar to RAW for Audio.  RAW could also be used as a label for this option (= auto-framerate + auto-resolution).

So for a DVD the box would switch to 480i output rather than upscaling?

Q10 Pro won't do this at the moment, but I will mention it to HiMedia.

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 03:33:45 PM »

UHD

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 11:00:05 PM »
Pre-ordered it now anyway ... I look forward to dispatch email then arrival  :)

looun

• View Profile
    • himedia Pro Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 02:45:49 PM »

So for a DVD the box would switch to 480i output rather than upscaling?

Q10 Pro won't do this at the moment, but I will mention it to HiMedia.

this is also a old requirement ask into kodi, but never do because there are many problems.
Resolution it's no always fix as refresh rate(24/23.976/50/60) ,but there are many 480/576/1080/.. and different aspect ratio 4/3 21/9 16/9 ecc...

so it's very complicated and there aren't lot of advantage

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 04:49:19 PM »

this is also a old requirement ask into kodi, but never do because there are many problems.
Resolution it's no always fix as refresh rate(24/23.976/50/60) ,but there are many 480/576/1080/.. and different aspect ratio 4/3 21/9 16/9 ecc...

I really would take RAW mode literally. Don't try to do anything with it, get it from the source and forward it as is via HDMI. What is complicated with that?  The box on the other side needs to deal then with all the variables you mention. This may result in not displaying properly so what? Just stop play and select another option for that type of files.  Lets see how Dune does this!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:54:00 PM by Nice Monkey »

looun

• View Profile
    • himedia Pro Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 05:08:56 PM »

I really would take RAW mode literally. Don't try to do anything with it, get it from the source and forward it as is via HDMI. What is complicated with that?  The box on the other side needs to deal then with all the variables you mention. This may result in not displaying properly so what? Just stop play and select another option for that type of files.  Lets see how Dune does this!

not exist "video passthrough" like audio, it's impossible.

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 05:57:26 PM »
not exist "video passthrough" like audio, it's impossible.

I am not an expert but my Receiver gives me the choice to set an "Output resolution" with upscaling to that resolution or "video passthrough" untouched.
Why can't a media player do something similar?

Obviously subtitles and other overlays need to be parsed first, so it would not be really RAW, see some problems there, but you could be right there are more? Changing aspect ratios is something which i dislike too. Keep you fingers off and reproduce it as it is on the source. Black bars are no problem for me, cutting off parts and deformations are unacceptable. Not everybody's view of course.

Regarding the upscaling job. I have a large collection of DVD's. Tried many media players next to high end Philips and high end Pioneer BD-Players. None of the media players I tried come even close to the DVD picture quality upscaled on my 37/42/55 inch HDTV 's using those BD-players. For native BD 1:1 copies the difference is much smaller but still visible also on smaller TV's. BD-players are my reference regarding picture quality. Keep in mind the topic here is DVD and BD ISO's preferable based on 1:1 copies.
Himedia media players are not part of it yet, but I will find out soon as I ordered a Q10 Pro.  I hope it will do a similar job. Will share the results here of course.
Don't say high-end BD-Players are far more expensive than media players, I am aware of that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:47:49 PM by Nice Monkey »

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024