United States
FAST DELIVERY ∙ EXPERT TECH SUPPORT
UK STOCK ∙ 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Zidoo Z20 Pro
Ultra-HD 4K Dolby Vision Home Theatre 3.5" HDD Media Player.
  INCLUDES EXPRESS 2-4 DAY DELIVERY 

Author Topic: H8 Not Seeing USB HDD Files  (Read 9620 times)

kodinewbie

• View Profile
H8 Not Seeing USB HDD Files
« on: December 09, 2015, 08:30:07 PM »
Hi guys,

New to KODI here and I just booted up my new H8 that arrived today.  Attached my external HDD via USB on the first USB port closest towards the external antenna and the H8 didn't recognise anything as if there was nothing attached but the HDD was powered and running.  Tried it using the second USB port, the one towards the front of the box and it recognised the drive as USB_DISK4 but could not see any of my media files. 

I've tried searching both via KODI and Media Centre as well as downloading ES File Explorer and still the same thing.  Sees the external HDD on USB_DISK4 but it's empty as if I've nothing inside.  I've also tried the HDD on my PC and it works fine and my files are all intact.

Here's some details of my external drive:
  • WD My Passport 1TB
  • NTFS Format
  • 930GB used
  • Most files are .RMVB but I've also got some .avi, .wmv and .mp3s on it

Any help would be greatly appreciated and also if anyone could give me point me to the right directions on how to actually start using KODI and watching shows would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:33:31 PM by kodinewbie »

joliverio

• View Profile
Re: H8 Not Seeing USB HDD Files
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 07:36:25 AM »
Are you using a 3.5" HDD? Or the smaller one 2.5" size?

if problem is HARDWARE:
Normally the problem you mentioned, it is because the H8 power supply probably cannot handle the power to your HDD + H8 together, in this case maybe you need an external power supply to your HDD, if you have an "Y" USB cable it may solve your problem.
H8 power supply is only 2A maximum current, you also can try another power supply with 3A for example, to avoid a second external power supply, however the H8 connector is small and shall be difficult to find one power supply with more current that is ready to use.

If problem is SOFTWARE:
Try to find your HDD manually, inside Kodi.

In Kodi: Go to VIDEOS -> Files -> Add Videos.. -> Browse -> Root Filesystem -> mnt -> usb_storage -> USB_DISK4 ->  [Your HDD shall be located here]
Select your HDD and click "OK", now it shall be available to select the files from your HDD

I don't know why Kodi is so complicated to find a Hard disk!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:47:16 AM by joliverio »

kodinewbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 03:43:52 PM »
Are you using a 3.5" HDD? Or the smaller one 2.5" size?

if problem is HARDWARE:
Normally the problem you mentioned, it is because the H8 power supply probably cannot handle the power to your HDD + H8 together, in this case maybe you need an external power supply to your HDD, if you have an "Y" USB cable it may solve your problem.
H8 power supply is only 2A maximum current, you also can try another power supply with 3A for example, to avoid a second external power supply, however the H8 connector is small and shall be difficult to find one power supply with more current that is ready to use.
WD My Passport are 2.5" drives.  It is powered via the HiMedia box because the led light comes on and you can feel the HDD spinning so it's not an issue of lack of power.

If problem is SOFTWARE:
Try to find your HDD manually, inside Kodi.

In Kodi: Go to VIDEOS -> Files -> Add Videos.. -> Browse -> Root Filesystem -> mnt -> usb_storage -> USB_DISK4 ->  [Your HDD shall be located here]
Select your HDD and click "OK", now it shall be available to select the files from your HDD

I don't know why Kodi is so complicated to find a Hard disk!
As I said, in Kodi I can "install" my HDD but it registers it as empty even though it is full of media files and of various formats from .mp3 to .avi and .rmvb.

The files are not corrupt because I can see them on my PC and since the HiMedia box cannot see my HDD, I am now having to transfer the files I want to watch onto an USB stick and then plugging it in and playing it from there.  So I have no idea what the problem is.  Why can't it be simple and just plug and play.  Frustrating piece of overpriced tech when it can't work the way you want it to and yes I know in most cases it's the user not knowing how to use his tech but seriously I expect things to be pnp in 2016 with ease.

Mariusz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 04:11:16 PM »
Hi,
I have the same problem as friend codes newbie. This applies to a single drive WD 3.5 "- 2TB with an external power supply. Other WD drives are operating properly, both 2.5" and 3.5 ".

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:27:34 AM »
Hi,
I have the same problem as friend codes newbie. This applies to a single drive WD 3.5 "- 2TB with an external power supply. Other WD drives are operating properly, both 2.5" and 3.5 ".

The latest WD USB drives of 2 TB use a 4K sector format. If Drives > 2TB don't work then this won't either as it uses the same setup. Older drives also from WD at 2 TB used standard 512 bytes sectors.

Mariusz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »
Hi,
I have the problem only occurs with one particular drive - WD 3.5 "external power supply. All other work correctly, including the WD 3.5". All are USB 2.0 and are not new and are about 2-3 years.

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 06:57:17 AM »
You read the tutorial provided under general?

First try re-formatting it. If it still does not work use the CMD to display its characteristics and share it with us.

joliverio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:06:58 AM »
Just to use this post to confirm that H8 can recognize the latest 2.5" HDDs with 4TB without any problems. I have one 2.5" WD Elements 4TB and using now as local disk, purchased formatted in NTFS.

Only need to browse the HDD for one time, like any other inserted new HDD (In Kodi: Go to VIDEOS -> Files -> Add Videos.. -> Browse -> Root Filesystem -> mnt -> usb_storage -> USB_DISK4 ->  [Your HDD shall be located here]
Select your HDD and click "OK", now it shall be available to select the files from your HDD)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:11:25 AM by joliverio »

Mariusz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »
All drives plug in accordance with the instructions and they are visible on the device correctly. Only this one is the problem. He is seen by the device, but the player does not have any files on it, which is not true because there are video files, audio and photos. The computer or other media player drive is working properly. And I do not want to format it has just due to the fact that I have on it important for me to video files. Maybe my copy of HIMEDIA very H8 "does not like" just this drive ...  :)

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 09:38:10 AM »
There may be an incompatibility between certain WD drives and the H8.

Or between WD drives formatted a certain way and H8.

Or between  those WD drives and Android 4.4 in general.

It's difficult to determine..

If you did reformat the drive it would be a way of figuring out where the problem lies. It might work with a reformat and that would identify the format as the problem. I'd also be interested to see if the drive works with other Android devices to eliminate Android in general as the problem.

I'm sorry I couldn't help more specifically. I'll pass on the problem to Himedia but without more info it's going to be hard to fix.

DELIVERY ∙ PAYMENT ∙ WARRANTY+RETURNS ∙ ABOUT ∙ PRIVACY ∙ FORUM ∙ CONTACT
© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2024