2 YEAR WARRANTY
FEATURED  :  MEDIA BOX  :  OTHER  FORUM  :  CART
Zidoo X20 Pro
PRO DAC
2X HDMI
2X 3.5" HDD BAY
REFRESH+RESOLUTION SWITCHING
IN STOCK

Author Topic: Practical experiences "Dinobot U5 mini" dual Android TV (A7) and OpenATV (E2)  (Read 154 times)

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
 It is a true hybrid Media Player/Streamer and Set Top Box.

Specifically compare this box with Egreat and Himedia players as it uses the same Hisillicon SOC as a basis. PQ and HW features are virtually identical to the base/small models of those brands. It also compares with a NVIDIA Shield but don't own one myself.
As a Set Top Box (STB) will compare it with my VU+ UNO which it will potentially replace (for 4K satellite channel support). That one is running Blackhole Enigma2 as the OS. Always liked that box as it pairs great PQ plus functionality with user-friendliness and stability. It will be hard to match that one!

If one is looking for a media player with advanced poster systems for video and music look at alternatives but if you want a quality stable player with great flexibility have a peak at this magical little thing.

Things one needs to know to get started well:
- It is Dual Boot for Android TV 7 (A7) and OpenATV (E2). In fact it is Android  TV 7 .0 (not 7,1 as mentioned in the Futeko specs).
      During boot an Android main image is displayed first.
      During about 10 sec on that screen one can use the Remote Control Unit (RCU) to select booting A7 (red button) or E2 (blue button)
      If nothing is selected then the last used OS will be re-booted automatically.
  There is even a Linux compatibility mode option under Android which I did not try. So you may say it supports 3 OS types.
  Also the standard E2 included OpenATV can be changed to multiple customized E2 alternatives (but not including OpenPLI).
- As with many Chinese FW's: Open means OFF and Close means ON mostly.
- When Dinobot talks about Full and Normal firmware versions they really mean to say Full (update including Factory Reset) and Normal (update system only).
- Bluetooth pairing the RCU via the standard procedure only works correctly if RCU Autopairing is disabled first in setup  (to get rid of that screen).

The bad things:
- The first big problem I found is that the USB ports don't deliver power as they should. It is far below 500 mA for USB2 and 800 mA for USB3. My guess is that it actually can power only 500mA for both ports combined. My USB3 2.5 inch Music HDD only powers up with all load removed on the USB2 port. It is my first media player having this problem. The only practical way to use USB on this box is using a powered USB3 hub with it. >:(
- There is no Movie Poster System and the file browser (Movie Center) is basic. The same for Music Player (SQ  48kHz only) and Picture Player.
  But these can be added using additional APP's compatible with Android TV including KODI and MX-player.

The good things:
- It comes with an excellent Bluetooth RCU which includes a build-in cursor mouse and a microphone too.  See those normally bundled only on a lot more expensive models. The IR-learning is restricted to the TV-Power button (single key) but still handy.
- As a media player it basically acts and works as a Himedia Q5/Q10 but using Android TV 7 as the basis instead. HiControl does not work with it as a consequence.
- For streaming services it acts and even presents itself as an "NVIDIA Shield" with Widevine L1. This makes it very universal not talking about E2 and tuners yet.
  The APP's available will match the Play Store for Android TV not for Smart Phones as most media players do.
- Netflix Premium works flawless in HD/4K with 5.1 sound and Youtube in 4K as claimed out of the box. Did not try other streaming services yet.
- My Egreat players still have problems with: Stuttering of 4K+HDR+Atmos movies if the HDD is not SATA connected, weird problem with Atmos not producing any sound needing a factory reset to restore, 10-bit video setting reverting to 8-bit after processing any BD with Menu. These are no problem here. In fact this box has no settings at all for AMP compatibility with HDMI RAW mode set to ON it just passes all audio formats as it should do.
- Similar to Egreat Seamless Branching for DVD/BD/4K works correctly. This is still a nasty problem on my Zidoo players!

This thread will be updated over time adding things found. Tuners and E2 are not used yet by me!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 01:04:23 PM by Nice Monkey »

pcristi

• View Profile
Re: How to change between Android and Enigma2?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 05:53:17 PM »
You need manually prepare microSD with Enigma after that will have option to reboot to Enigma.
http://forum.dinobot.tv/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=38
http://u5pvr.blogspot.com/2017/12/u5pvr-with-enigma2.html

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
Re: How to change between Android and Enigma2?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 10:33:58 PM »
Thanks! ;)

Took me a while but in fact I can boot into Android or E2 without loading a SD-Card.  This using the Red or Blue remote control button at boot time.
Had me puzzled for a while but now looking good.
Got it, the sd-card need is for using Android 8 with E2 combined. I will wait for the normal release.

Anyway added a 32-Gbyte SD-card. Lets see what this little thing can all do.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 07:17:45 PM by Nice Monkey »

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
Re: Practical experiences using "Dinobot U5 mini"
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 08:17:51 AM »
Updated with experiences and changed title accordingly. More to follow for sure.

Beyond the USB power problem and some initial setup unique "need to knows"  I am really starting to like this box. Functionality is kept relative simple but it is easy to setup and it all just works as it should (very well debugged it seems).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:13:42 AM by Nice Monkey »

rikioh

• View Profile
i am also quite impressed with this box... strange that there is very little information about this device... i think this is the perfect combo for someone using a beamer, cause you have dvb-c/s/t tuners integrated.... i was a bit skeptical when i bought it, but i haven't regret it, it runs much smoother than my zidoo box with the Addition of netflix and youtube 4k

the only bad thing i noticed is that i have a delay with ac3 sound in the live tv android app and on open atv, where you can correct it but in the live tv app i cannot change sound delay for ac3... and it is a bit slower to switch channels but maybe this will get better or i have to try another e2 image cause in android tv app it is faster...

@nice monkey

do you also have a delay or does your sound perfectly match and runs synchronously
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 03:29:33 PM by rikioh »

Nice Monkey

• Loves classic movies
    • View Profile
@nice monkey
do you also have a delay or does your sound perfectly match and runs synchronously
You are ahead of me. Did not get to that part yet. Will comment when I do which may take  a while.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 05:43:11 PM by Nice Monkey »

Zidoo X20 Pro
PRO DAC
2X HDMI
2X 3.5" HDD BAY
REFRESH+RESOLUTION SWITCHING
IN STOCK
DELIVERY  :  WARRANTY  :  RETURNS  :  FAQ  :  BREXIT  :  ABOUT  :  CONTACT
PayPal Acceptance Mark Prices are charged in £GBP with conversion at Paypal's current rate. The Euro / $USD price on our site is approximate. More info here. Prices for UK + EU delivery include VAT at 20%. COOKIE POLICY.

© SDHDIGITAL LTD 2019. All rights reserved.