MEDIA BOX    BUNDLES    OTHER
COMPARE    FORUM
HiMedia Q10 Pro
£149.99
€177
$198
ULTRA-HD 4K HDRANDROID 7ULTIMATE PQTOTAL FORMAT SUPPORT3.5" HDD BAYHIMEDIA QUALITY + SUPPORT
Egreat A10
£249.99
€295
$330
ULTRA-HD 4K HDRBD-ISO MENUSINTERNAL+EXTERNAL SATA7.1 HD-AUDIOMEDIA PLAYER INTERFACEULTIMATE PQ

Author Topic: Cannot install Kodi 17  (Read 1026 times)

barza

• View Profile
Cannot install Kodi 17
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:18:00 AM »
I have a Q5 and am trying to install Kodi 17. Running the CS 3.0.4 firmware.

Kodi is shown as not compatible with the device in Google play store, so can not install/update from there.

When I try to side load the apk, I get a 'cannot parse file' error, even though the ability to install apps from unknown sources is on in settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

barza

• View Profile
Re: Cannot install Kodi 17
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 09:45:04 AM »
So it seems Kodi 17 requires Android 5.1 or higher, and there is no intention from the official developers to produce a version compatible with Android 4.4

The other way round this is hence for Himedia to offer an update of the 2014 Q5 to Android 5.1 or above? Is there any chance of that happening?

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »
Q5/Q10 4K3D won't be updated to Android 5.1.

It's very irritating that Kodi are not supporting Android 4.4. They've done it intentionally to try and hurt the fully loaded box sellers, but it risks alienating the users that have made them what they are.

I actually expected someone to have modified Kodi 17 to get it running on 4.4 by now. I still think something like that will end up happening.

barza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 09:18:48 AM »
Futeko - Thanks for the reply.

You state that this device won't be updated to Android 5.1.

Can I ask (a) how you know that to be the case, and (b) why is that the case?

I suspect you are going to say that the manufacturer of the Hisilicon chipset is not going to release an updated Android kernel for Himedia to work with. But if that is true, it makes me very nervous about buying Himedia products. This matters to me as I already also own a Q5 pro, and have a Q10 pro pre-ordered from you.

Up until now, i have been quite impressed with himedia's product support. You don't need me to tell you how terrible the manufacturer provided support for most android boxes is. I even sent a drive full of 3D ISOs to Himedia to help them troubleshoot their 3D MVC solution. So I am surprised that, in this situation, Himedia would not pressure the chipset manufacturer into providing the 5.1 android update.

I note that other Andoid 4.4 devices (Tronsmart R28 as just one example), have had a 5.1 version provided, even if only given beta status.

futeko.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:26:39 AM »
HiMedia say they have no plan to upgrade 4K3D models to a more recent version of Android. I don't know the reasoning behind this.

It's unusual for Android boxes to be upgraded to a more recent Android version. Q5/Q10 Pro being an exception with their recent Android 7 update.

barza

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 10:37:43 AM »
Is there any way you could get Himedia to reconsider that decision (if indeed it has been finally decided)?

You seem to have some degree of leverage with them as a preferred distributor of their products.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »

DELIVERY      WARRANTY      RETURNS      FAQ      KODI      UK & EUROPEAN UNION      ABOUT      CONTACT      
PayPal Acceptance Mark
Prices are charged in £GBP with conversion at Paypal's current rate. The Euro / $USD price on our site is approximate. More info here.
Cookie Policy. Prices for UK + EU delivery include VAT at 20%. © SDHDIGITAL LTD 2017. All rights reserved.